A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: 27 with 6-8 months

Newbie New User

27 with 6-8 months

Hey, I am new to all of this. Yesterday I found out that my girlfriend has 6-8 months left to enjoy her life. I knew she had beaten thyroid cancer a couple years ago and had cervical cancer. Maybe we all were in denial about the severity, or maybe it just wasn't as serious at the time. She is very fond of running and had no difficulties with it for some time. She is going through treatment now. I am trying not to be too upset by it all since she is big on not wanting to upset me or others and be treated differently by her loved ones. I am going to be upset and worried about it but will probably push it off when I am talking to her. She told me she doesn't want to hear all the people who feel sorry for her and just wants to be treated normal by everyone. She put it as that she doesn't want everyone to treat her like she is a fragile person who could break at any moment. I'd love to convince myself that we can somehow still beat it as I am sure many others do. I just don't want to believe it so much to the point where I am blind to everything. What sucks is that there is nothing I could do to fix it so, I and everyone else is just good as emotional support as she goes through her treatments. This is also affecting her kids. She has two, aged six and four. They love their mom and love to play, and dance with her. It just isn't fair to them to have her taken from them at such a young age. Their father is not going to be there for them. Their grandparents are very involved with their life but all the same they shouldn't be without her. I know the world is not fair, but still. She said that I keep her sand and happy, but I feel completely worthless and wish I could actively do something about it all.

Senior User
    I'm so sorry for this news. If you don't mind, where is she being treated and what type of treatment is she getting? Is she in any discomfort or pain? It is completely normal to want to be treated normally when your life is turned upside down. It sounds like you're doing a good job of that and staying strong and positive for her. If you browse these boards, you'll find people who have outlived their prognosis. Every person is unique and responds to treatment differently. Wishing her the best outcome and you continued strength.

Newbie New User
    Thanks for the response. She is being treated down in Flordia, and she is currently getting radiation treatments. She was going to have it done on the 27th for two and a half weeks, but that has since moved up when her condition got visibly worse. The treatments take pretty much all the energy out of her. She was a very active person and had quit smoking earlier in the year. She is all about going for a run to clear her head, get away, stay in shape, or just for fun. She obviously can't do that now, but I hope that her being an active person helps her fight since her body was healthy. Like you said, everyone is different, just going to have to be there for her the best I can.

Newbie New User
    Hi Tristan any updates