A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALL Leukemia B Cell Phila positive

Experienced User

ALL Leukemia B Cell Phila positive

One morning in June 2014 my husband woke up with a backache. Exactly one week later, he was admitted to the hospital and receiving high dose chemotherapy. After 6 months of treatment, he received a stem cell transplant from his older brother. With little to no complications, he did really well and was in remission for the next 18 months. In July of 2016, he relapsed with extramadullary spots. He had two spots on his hips and one on his left shoulder. At that time he was put on Sprycel and radiation. Through the fall his BCR ABL showed no signs of Philadelphia chromosome. In January of 2017, his marker started creeping back at a very low .00009. By February, he was at .01108. Sprycel dosage was increased but by June his cancer was completely out of control and his hematologist switched his therapy to Nilointinib (sp) Immediately the new therapy took affect and his markers decreased dramatically. However, August - November his marker stayed around 2800. In November, they included steroids into the regimen. I believe to help the chemotherapy "work better." It did and by December he was at 590. We are waiting for the new test results now. The only think they said they would've done differently is change his chemotherapy sooner in the spring then later. It quickly got out of control. I'm posting today because we were told in the beginning that he was high risk and they would try their hardest to get him to transplant. He certainly got to transplant and a few million dollars later, we're told he may only live another 6 months to a year. I don't understand how this can be gone for 18 months and re appear. I am wondering if I am doing everything possible to help him. Two people have mentioned MD Anderson. We live in Florida and feel like he's getting great care but I want to make sure we explore every possibility to cure him. My husband has had a positive attitude through all of this, until now. I want to help him and get him back to thinking positively. I believe its been a crucial part of his recovery and success. I have been with my husband since I was 16 years old and we have been through everything you can imagine. I didn't miss one appointment and I didn't miss one day seeing him while he was in the hospital. I am completely committed to anything that will help him. I just ask for advice on how to help him. I feel like I cant help if I don't know about other options. Thanks for listening.

If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Welcome, and I am sorry to hear of this situation. As to relapses, the thinking is trending toward the thought that we may possess a cancer "stem cell" - one that may sit dormant and is not dividing. Since blood cell cancers are vulnerable to treatment primarily when they are dividing, a so-called stem cell could remain dormant and avoid the treatment's toxicity. And just sit there. Until something unknown activates it, and then we are off to the races once again.

If you are at Moffitt, I cannot see any great benefit from traveling halfway across the country. Moffitt has brilliant doctors and participates in the same research that MD Anderson., Yale, Columbia, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Fred Hutchinson and many others do. However, if it remains a possibility, you can certainly explore that avenue as a means of doing everything that you can.

More sets of eyes on a given situation may lead to more than a glimmer of hope.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Experienced User
    Thank you. Your information makes a lot of sense. We are very happy with our team at Moffitt. I actually call them scientific genius'. James next plan of action is Blincyto. Do you know much about this therapy? I haven't been able to find much online. His doctors say there are some pretty heavy side effects just while in treatment. Once treatment is finished, they side effects go away. (altered mental state, possibility of not hearing, cardiology)

Being a T-Cell Lymphoma guy, I am on the learning curve regarding leukemia. I have a low risk pre-leukemic marrow cancer - MyeloDysplastic Syndrome (MDS). It is clear that any leukemia that begins with the letter "A" is going to be a challenge. As to treatment, a clinical trial is something to always consider. In trials, you will receive cutting edge drugs years ahead of their approval. If the trial drug is not effective, then you immediately switch to standard therapy. Depending on your insurance, your out-of-pocket costs can drop, as the sponsoring drug company pays all of the study-related costs.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Experienced User
    Thank you for your insight and I wish you well with your treatment and recovery. You certainly have educated yourself well and i believe that makes a big difference. I'm sure you've helped a lot of people.

Happy New Year and I hope 2018 brings you good health and happiness!

Dear abeucher: Hello, I am a leukemia survivor, and my signature gives you the stats on my AML, which I didn't even know I had at the time. Your husband has had a real up and down roller coaster ride, and that's something I am familiar with, and am going through a rough patch right now myself. My initial terminal diagnosis was that I had a 50% chance of living 6 months, and I feel that was a significant advantage because I was able to stop worrying about it altogether, and enjoyed each day as it came. Due to the uniqueness of my case, I did finally go to MD Anderson Houston last July in Houston, and I saw the head of the Leukemia Department, who is named Hagop Kantarjian, and by my estimation has to be one of the top 5 leukemia experts in the US. To explain this clearly, Dr. Kantarjian picks you, and not the other way around! If you have something particularly nasty or off the beaten track, he may be interested in seeing you. You need to ask your hospital if they are on the same system as MD Anderson Houston, and if they are, the records transfer is quick and painless. You certainly don't have anything to lose at this point, and if anybody has seen something like this before, it would be Dr. Kantarjian.

Speaking for myself, accepting that I would have cancer for the rest of my life was the best thing I ever did, and I really never thought I'd make 68 in the first place. The other thing that I feel I have in my favor, and my oncologist agrees with me on this, is that my case is just plain weird, and there are no maps or boundaries upon which my course through this may be charted. From my viewpoint, you and your husband are going to be married until the day you die, and my gut tells me that date doesn't exist yet. Your husband's case also has that odd feel to it, why is why you might want to get a fresh viewpoint from a top leukemia expert. Please feel free to get back to me if you want, of if there's any way I can help.

One last thing: A small present for you for being such a dedicated and caring wife: https://www.cancerforums.net/threads...-garden-by-DMW
    05/6/16 pre-op physical for surgery show low WBC & RBC
    5/22/16 [Birthday] Results of BM biopsy: AML 25% blasts with inv t(3:3) mutation, HIGH risk
    5/30/16 Undergo 3+7 chemo, but it doesn't touch AML, infections nearly kill me. Blasts 65%
    7/04/16 Diagnosis now Refractory AML. [:tombstone:]Six cycles of azacitidine, 21 shots over 7 days w/ 1.5" needle into gut + below navel.
    11/05/16 Move to NOLA - Infusion center 4 minutes away. 15 shots for 5 days with 5/8" 25 ga. needle Huge increase in quality of life.
    12/28/16 BMB shows blasts 12%
    4/16/17 BMB shows CD34 16%, cycles dropped to 4 weeks
    7/20/17 Diagnosis changed to "indolent leukemia", aka MDS
    7/27/17 BMB shows CD34 17%
    8/15/17 Venclexta chemo in PILL form added Onc estimates survival time now 2 - 4 YEARS.
    10/26/17 BMB results show 17/20 metaphases with inv(3:3) mutation-low blood cell counts - transfusions ineffective
    12/4/17 Diagnosis: Uncontrolled refractory AML

Experienced User
    Thank you for writing to me. Your situation sounds very much like my husbands. They really didn't expect him to make it to transplant and honestly, during the last cycle, I wasn't sure he would get there either. The initial treatment (HYPER CVAD) wreaked havoc on him. James was diagnosed at 48 and he is now 52. He has beaten a lot of odds his entire life so this shouldn't be any different, and I will be right here supporting him. Should this Nilotinob (daily oral chemo) fail, he will either receive Blincyto or CAR T. I am afraid of both, but they are our options.

Heres a little history on diagnosis : June 2014 WBC 26,000 Hgb 7,000 Platelets 7,000 Blast 82% Leukemia B Cell ALL Ph+ (High Risk) No symptoms other than fatigue and petechia (we didn't even know what it was)

As for you, I wish you well. You've got this. Keep walking . I've always said to my husband, there is a percentage that does well. Why wouldn't that be you? Why not? and thank you for the lovely garden of flowers. : )

ps- I don't see that you've had a transplant? Any reason?

I would say here not to be - never to be - afraid of options. It is such a blessing to have options, no matter how slim the chances of their effectiveness seems. There is a good percentage of patients who benefit from those options, or else they would not be options. Are they a minority? Yes, but your husband's journey is absolutely unique.

At my immediate relapse after primary therapy, my prognosis had dropped from poor to extremely poor. I had the option of a regimen called ICE, and best wishes. It took very little reading between the lines to comprehend what that meant. Yet, Dr. found a clinical trial that placed me in full response for 4 1/2 years. Time for additional treatments to arrive.

Options are actually a wonderful thing, as I am alive because of them.
    02/09 2) Relapse.

Experienced User
    You are 100% right. I was afraid of the side effects but better to have options then not. Thank you for that.

I don't think the 1 terabyte of storage on my iMac can hold all of the side effects of the various drugs and medications I have been given! The sheer number of those side effects, as well as their potential seriousness can be a deterrent if we allow them to be. I would have to add up all possible effects from the 18 anti-cancer drugs I have received, as well those of all of the various and sundry other drugs used to control those side effects, stop infection, prevent infection, boost this, lower that, supplement the other, replace certain depleted substances and the list goes on. As I see it, best to be pragmatic and just go with what will kill those leukemic cells.

In my experience, wives have a worry gene - and for good reason! It stems from love, and there is only good in that. As unpleasant as all of this is, it can be a long-term fight (in my 10th year now), and it does take energy to remain focused on the big picture. But, that big picture is the incentive, the prize. So many things along the way want to distract us, but there is an odd peace to be found in focusing on the fight itself.
    02/09 2) Relapse.