A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abdominal mass

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Go to a university or research hospital. Demand it.

Newbie Regular User
    I am working on it but having a hard time. Location is difficult, plus I need to find a new primary doctor before I can request to be seen by a university or research hospital. I just found out that my primary doctor has been interfering with my care. Went to ER twice today with severe abdominal pain. I was sent home with no workup both times. I found out the second time that the ER doctor contacted my primary who gave specific instructions to run no tests. Apparently I am being punished for having an acute health issue (I think it might be my gallbladder, bowel or appendix) while being chronically ill with something they cannot figure out.

Super Moderator Top User
    Next time you go to an ER, go to a university or research hospital as po18guy says. I did this with my sister; I drove 100 miles in a snowstorm to get there but when we finally got there we got answers.

And if you think your primary care doctor is sabotagin you, then don't give his name when they ask. Just say you don't have one. They won't question that, and if you don't intend to go back to him (which it sounds like you shouldn't) then it will be the truth.

Newbie Regular User
    Thank you for responses. feeling abandoned and dismissed by doctors. I live on an island so no way to get to another hospital aside flight. What are good university or research hospitals in California or the west coast? talking to family out of state to see if I can go to mainland as soon as possible. I did not mention my primary with second ER visit and they pulled up electronic records and contacted her anyway, that's how I found out when ER doctor came in and said "your primary told us no more tests for you," etc...

Super Moderator Top User
    I'm surprised the doctor would even have that kind of power, that's just weird.

Top teaching hospitals in California include UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, Cedars-Sinai, UCSD... Any of those within reach?

If there's another doctor on your island, see if you can get your primary care switch to him/her.

Newbie Regular User
    Thank you. The situation feels abusive, and I have little recourse. I am terrified of going to any ER again no matter how ill I am now. If I complain or try to advocate for myself, things will get worse. Just have to find a new primary but it might be difficult since there is a doctor shortage here and many primaries won't accept "complex" patients. Working with family to contact a couple of those teaching hospitals - thank you!

Moderator Top User
    Hi, you have had some really good advice and whilst I cannot add to it, just wanted to say I do hope you manage to resolve this appalling situation, but if you are in a situation where you do need to go to hospital, make sure you do and if appropriate keep a record of your experiences, including the last one so that if you ever need to you have the evidence at hand to use to show how this doctor has had a negative impact on your health.

hope things improve
    John
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.

Newbie Regular User
    Leaving within the week. If things workout and I find out what's going on will update. Thank you everyone who responded.

Moderator Top User
    well done on taking this step and I hope you get the answers you need

John
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.