A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Mother just diagnosed with breast cancer

Newbie New User

Mother just diagnosed with breast cancer

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this and I'm trying to figure out what to expect in the coming weeks / months as this is the first family member I've known who has dealt with cancer. My mother had surgery a few weeks ago to remove lymph nodes from around her breast. After a scan today, it turns out she has cancerous tumors in both breasts. Future results will show if the cancer has spread elsewhere. I know this forum won't give me answers but I'm finding it hard to function with fear of the unknown. She showed no symptoms up to this point and took our whole family by surprise. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Best,
    Robbie Preston

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by rpreston133 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this and I'm trying to figure out what to expect in the coming weeks / months as this is the first family member I've known who has dealt with cancer. My mother had surgery a few weeks ago to remove lymph nodes from around her breast. After a scan today, it turns out she has cancerous tumors in both breasts. Future results will show if the cancer has spread elsewhere. I know this forum won't give me answers but I'm finding it hard to function with fear of the unknown. She showed no symptoms up to this point and took our whole family by surprise. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Best,
    Robbie Preston
    Sorry to hear about this Robbie. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 12 years ago and have had no recurrence. I had the lymph nodes under my arm removed not around my breast but maybe that is what you mean. Did she have the cancer removed from the first breast? I know with me a week after the OP I met with the Surgeon and was told the Grade and what they intended doing next. You however are talking about her having scans and cancers in both breasts. Just be with your Mum. You know her best and how you can help her. The next few weeks will probably be quite hard going as you wait to hear what you are facing. You really just need to accept that, tell you Mum how you are feeling, find out how she is feeling. Once you know what you are up against it will be easier. It is the waiting that is most hard. If you need a good cry, cry. Best wishes, alethea.