A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: doubling vision

doubling vision

I've had some worsening doubling of hte vision in my right eye ove the last month. It doesn't help with contacts/glasses either, so I'm assuming that it has something to do with the tumor growth.
    The questoin I have is: if anyone else has had doubling vision with their tumors, and if there was ever any improvement in their vision once this started? My NO has said that he will likely advise surgery followed by chemo/radiation after my next MRI if the growth rate was still the same, along with any increase in symptoms. So I wondered if I could expect any improvment in my vision with the surgery or anything? I can still see, it's just difficult to focus, especially when I'm tired with my eyes seeing things differently. Especially for reading/writing.
    grand mal seizure leading to MRI discovery of a suspicious brain mass in left temporal lobe May 24, 2013
    99% resection of a WHO Grade II diffuse fibrillary astrocytoma July 11, 2013
    1st postoperative MRI October 11, 2013 - clear for any regrowth
    occasional complex partial and absence seizures
    Clear MRI September 2016
    Regrowth on MRI March 2017
    200 mg of Topamax daily

Hey mccindy I haven't commented on here in a while, but I lurk a lot and have been watching your updates. This really isn't the same situation I know, but after my surgery, my brain could not organize letters. They were all jumbled on top of each other and blurry and I could not read. It really scared me, but after a few days it got better. I know it's different because I wasn't having that issue prior to my surgery, but my surgeon said it was because things had been disrupted in my brain and he had to move a vein out of the way. I will be hoping that yours will go away and things will settle down after surgery.

I think there are things they can do for double vision though. I have a family member who has double vision after hitting their head really hard and they have some type of special glasses that help with the double vision.

Did you get the results of your EEG?

Quote Originally Posted by Oregongirl87 View Post
    Hey mccindy I haven't commented on here in a while, but I lurk a lot and have been watching your updates. This really isn't the same situation I know, but after my surgery, my brain could not organize letters. They were all jumbled on top of each other and blurry and I could not read. It really scared me, but after a few days it got better. I know it's different because I wasn't having that issue prior to my surgery, but my surgeon said it was because things had been disrupted in my brain and he had to move a vein out of the way. I will be hoping that yours will go away and things will settle down after surgery.

I think there are things they can do for double vision though. I have a family member who has double vision after hitting their head really hard and they have some type of special glasses that help with the double vision.

Did you get the results of your EEG?
    Hi there! Nice to see you, hope your're doing well!
    I do remember some problems like that from my first surgery - I couldn't even talk the first couple of days, and when I tried to text or write anything, it was completely jumbled. that settled over the few weeks following, and is one of the reasons I'm trying to finish writing the book I'm currently working on, since I know I likely won't be writing for a while after treatments start.

It's good to hear there might be some options, I will have to ask about it. I know at some points I am actually writing and reading with my eye closed because it is so dffictult to focus on what i' m lookig at when there is print involved.
    grand mal seizure leading to MRI discovery of a suspicious brain mass in left temporal lobe May 24, 2013
    99% resection of a WHO Grade II diffuse fibrillary astrocytoma July 11, 2013
    1st postoperative MRI October 11, 2013 - clear for any regrowth
    occasional complex partial and absence seizures
    Clear MRI September 2016
    Regrowth on MRI March 2017
    200 mg of Topamax daily

Regular User
    So ironic, my husband also recently experienced double vision. the weird thing is the double vision was vertical. We figured it out it happens when he tries to read something in the peripheral. OT is doing a great job trying to teach him to turn his head.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder View Post
    So ironic, my husband also recently experienced double vision. the weird thing is the double vision was vertical. We figured it out it happens when he tries to read something in the peripheral. OT is doing a great job trying to teach him to turn his head.
    That is interesting, my doubling is vertical too. I noticed especially when Iím trying to red that I see the words again underneath them, about half of them and it makes it very difficult to read!

Oh, Oregon girl I forgot to answer your EEG wuestion. I looked up the results and it looked like they didnít see any siezure activity except some stuff that is typical for post cranial/tumor surgery I guess?

Super Moderator Top User
    This may be kind of an off-the-wall comment, but do you have any colored cellophane or similar material around? If so, it might be worth trying a few different colors and see if there's any one color that, laid over the page, makes the words on the page behave themselves.

(This is a memory from my teacher days. I know that it works for some people but I have no idea what it has to do with the brain. Must be something though. There's actually a kit that they sell for this for schools but it costs quite a bit and I'd think colored plastic or cellophane would work just as well.)

Super Moderator Top User
    Ask to see a neuro-ophthalmologist. They may be able to do something with a prism to help in the short-term at least.
    Nikos

Glioblastoma IV, frontal lobe - Dx March 2011. Treated with standard Stupp protocol
    Recurrence August 2016 (at 5 years PFS). Surgery August 2016, rechallenge with TMZ with immunotheraphy (nivolumab)

Quote Originally Posted by NikosF View Post
    Ask to see a neuro-ophthalmologist. They may be able to do something with a prism to help in the short-term at least.
    I did see one last fall, when it was just barely doubling along the bottom. She said I have a potential blind spot in my left eye, and that I was lucky, because the doubling for most people with brain tumors is usually much worse. She wanted me to come back in six months. That would be March/April. I do plan on going back, if Iím not having surgery by then...
    I see the NO in Chicago Monday. This has been a bad week for some reason. I donít ysaly have a lot of anxiety befor a scan but for some reason this time I am. Maybe because he said this time of growth rate is the same with increase in symptoms he wants to consider surgery/chemo/radiation.

Super Moderator Top User
    How did the NO visit go?
    Nikos

Glioblastoma IV, frontal lobe - Dx March 2011. Treated with standard Stupp protocol
    Recurrence August 2016 (at 5 years PFS). Surgery August 2016, rechallenge with TMZ with immunotheraphy (nivolumab)