A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Mother Recently Diagnoses....concerned daughter

Newbie New User

Unhappy Mother Recently Diagnoses....concerned daughter

Hi there,

I recently visited this site and registered in hopes for some information from those who have experienced cervical cancer.

My mother was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer. They did not give a stage however we were told it was directly around the cervix (so Im assuming stage 1 a/b). After the MRI and CAT scan they noted that one of her lymph nodes was enlarged so they assumed it was part of the cancer but did not biopsy it. They proceeded to tell her she will be going for radiation 5x a week for 6 weeks. as well as chemotherapy 1x a week for the 6 weeks. She is to start treatments next week.

For those who have experienced....what is the efficacy of this treatment? How was yourself or loved on affected.....

Thank you so much for any help and information

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis.

While I do not have personal experience myself there are other members here who do have the experience. Sometimes this area of the forum can be a little quiet so please be sure to check back often for responses.

What I can tell you is that the effectiveness of radiation and/or chemo will depend once her stage is confirmed. I am assuming no surgery? Generally side effective from chemo are nausea (although the meds that are available now are very effective to combat this), weakness and tiredness. Radiation side effects will depend on whether it is internal or external treatment.

I will let others here comment more on the above. Welcome to the forum. Please know there are excellent people here to listen and support you and your mom through this.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jorola View Post
    Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis.

While I do not have personal experience myself there are other members here who do have the experience. Sometimes this area of the forum can be a little quiet so please be sure to check back often for responses.

What I can tell you is that the effectiveness of radiation and/or chemo will depend once her stage is confirmed. I am assuming no surgery? Generally side effective from chemo are nausea (although the meds that are available now are very effective to combat this), weakness and tiredness. Radiation side effects will depend on whether it is internal or external treatment.

I will let others here comment more on the above. Welcome to the forum. Please know there are excellent people here to listen and support you and your mom through this.

Jodie

Thank you for the reply, Jodie. I do believe she is state 1b2. I did quite a lot of research and I feel much more comfortable knowing what is happening biologically. She finished her first week of radiation and chemo (1tx) today. She will have to continue for 4-5 more weeks. I think she is getting a PET scan this week to ensure it hasn't traveled to her liver. (as they saw some spots earlier in her MRI). I appreciate you responding and reassuring me of the side effects.

Hannah