A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: 34, Looking for Hope - Endo Cancer, Megace, Pregnancy

34, Looking for Hope - Endo Cancer, Megace, Pregnancy

Hi All!

I am new to this forum and am looking for pregnancy success stories after endometrial cancer and Megace treatment. I am 34 and was diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer Grade 1 following removal of a polyp and ovarian drilling to treat PCOS. My blessing is that the cancer was only found on the polyp and a follow-up D&C and MRI showed no signs of cancer elsewhere. My husband and I very much want to have children, so when I learned that conservative treatment with Megace was an option, I was so relieved. My onco and obgyn agreed to put me on 160mg for 6 mos, follow up with a D&C and then proceed with fertility treatments if (when ) all is clear. Well, I am almost at my 6 mos mark, and nerves are starting to set in. I would love to hear success stories about having children after all of this to keep fueling my hope.

Hi there,

While I have not been in your situation myself, I just wanted to say hi and welcome. I am glad surgery went well. I wish you continues success and happiness. Please keep us posted ok?

This area of the forum can be quiet sometimes so be sure to check back often for responses.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Experienced User
    Hi, megace didn't work for me. Ended up having surgery and had son via surrogacy in Ukraine. My son is turning 4 in April and i advise that megace will ruin your health and i don't recommend. It caused me to have a kidney stone and I throw up constantly. Don't do megace, but think of your life first! Keep ovaries and there are other ways to have a child. We are also thinking of adopting another baby and 2nd one also surrogacy, trying to figure out how to raise money for 2nd surrogacy. Don't give up!

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesAreReal View Post
    Hi All!

I am new to this forum and am looking for pregnancy success stories after endometrial cancer and Megace treatment. I am 34 and was diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer Grade 1 following removal of a polyp and ovarian drilling to treat PCOS. My blessing is that the cancer was only found on the polyp and a follow-up D&C and MRI showed no signs of cancer elsewhere. My husband and I very much want to have children, so when I learned that conservative treatment with Megace was an option, I was so relieved. My onco and obgyn agreed to put me on 160mg for 6 mos, follow up with a D&C and then proceed with fertility treatments if (when ) all is clear. Well, I am almost at my 6 mos mark, and nerves are starting to set in. I would love to hear success stories about having children after all of this to keep fueling my hope.
    Hi MiraclesAreReal

Im sorry to hear you are going through all of this. My wife is going through a very similar situation right now.

So while I would love to give you a personal success story, our story is still unfolding hopefully to a happy ending.

But I was in contact with another person in Toronto, Ontario that was successful with megace.

The person I was in contact with was diagnosed at approximately age 32 with ovarian cancer initially, then endometrial cancer. Her ovarian cancer was stage 1 grade 1 and she had to remove one ovary.

Also her endometrial cancer was stage 1 and grade 1, and she was given the option of doing hormonal treatments. She was put on hormones for 6 months, with no results. Then after 6 months, they put her on megace. I believe she was on megace for around a year, went through in vitro and is now expecting her first child this month (shes 34 now).

Keep up hope!!! Thats what I am doing

Thank you, chillychin. The story of your Ontario contact does give me hope! I am sorry your wife is going through a similar situation. None of us want to be here, but is nice to know we are not alone. To give a little update, I had my 6 month follow-up biopsy last week and it was CLEAN!!! No cancer or hyperplasia. So, I got the clear to start fertility treatment. I stopped taking the Megace a few days ago (and for the record, I tolerated it very well - no side effects) and am just waiting on my period to start. It usually takes 3-7 days for it to work its way out of your system and induce a period. Once my cycle starts, I will take clomid for days 3-7, then use a trigger shot to ovulate once there is a big enough follicle. That is all I know right now. It's definitely a journey! I do want to share my story as it goes though because there are so few of us and we can help each other just by sharing good will and information.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesAreReal View Post
    Thank you, chillychin. The story of your Ontario contact does give me hope! I am sorry your wife is going through a similar situation. None of us want to be here, but is nice to know we are not alone. To give a little update, I had my 6 month follow-up biopsy last week and it was CLEAN!!! No cancer or hyperplasia. So, I got the clear to start fertility treatment. I stopped taking the Megace a few days ago (and for the record, I tolerated it very well - no side effects) and am just waiting on my period to start. It usually takes 3-7 days for it to work its way out of your system and induce a period. Once my cycle starts, I will take clomid for days 3-7, then use a trigger shot to ovulate once there is a big enough follicle. That is all I know right now. It's definitely a journey! I do want to share my story as it goes though because there are so few of us and we can help each other just by sharing good will and information.
    Hi MiraclesAreReal

Congrats on your clean biopsy!!

Definitely one for the win category!

So just to clarify for my sake, you were on the megace for 6 months only?

I forgot to note that my wife also has a history of PCOS. This from what I understand is a contributing risk factor in developing endometrial cancer.

Thanks very much for sharing your update, your update gives some fuel to hope for my wife and I. We are still crossing our fingers and toes while we are sitting and waiting in between tests/procedures right now, and the waiting is definitely killing us.

Please do keep up with updates as things proceed, as my wife and I are by far not out of the woods yet, and there are very few people in this type of situation even willing to talk about it. So every little bit of info is helpful.