A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: cancer treatment in India

Newbie New User

Breast cancer treatment in India

Age 65.
    Menopaused.
    Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. Grade 2
    FNAC done

My mother just had a biopsy done and the results came yesterday. The doctors recommended further tests and surgery.

However we are not keen in doing the surgery in Bangladesh and are planning to take her to India and we are in the process of applying for medical visa.

now, we are torn between choosing treatment center. kolkata is closer to us and will be better for follow up treatments. But most people we know are referring Chennai.

Can i get your good thoughts between kolkata and chennai treatments? We were planning to take appointment from Apollo kolkata or Chennai. Does anyone have any experience over there that they can share?

Thanks for your thougths

Newbie New User

cancer treatment in India

hi
    my mother 65 just diagnosed with breast cancer grade 2. had only fnac done and took immidiate decision conduct treatment in india.

so applied for visa today from Bangladesh. hopefully will fly out to Apollo hospitals in chennai.

my diellema is which doctor to take appointment from and what is the service like in that hospital. should see a surgical oncolpgist first?

would be very grateful if anybody had any firdt hand experience of self or relatives to share and give some pointers...

Hello, shenjuti --

I apologize in advance, I know very little about the healthcare system in India. You say your mother was diagnosed--was she diagnosed in Bangladesh, or was she diagnosed in India? Will the documentation about the diagnosis be accepted at the hospital in Chennai? Or, might they have to conduct additional tests?

Again, while I know little about the healthcare in India, I would suggest seeing an oncologist that specializes in breast cancer, if that's an option. If that doctor is also a surgeon, that's fine, but they should look at your mother's disease holistically.

Perhaps others may have some additional advice.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED

Newbie New User
    Hello Indy,

she only had ultrasonogram and needle biopsy done..we will do the rest at India since they will not recognize any of these tests done in bangladesh

It's very possible that a cancer center in India may want to perform some type of scan, and perhaps another biopsy, if they don't accept what was previously performed in Bangladesh.

It's possible that someone in this forum may have some experience in India, but my advice would be to consider a comprehensive cancer center, particularly one that experience in women's health, and especially if they are experienced with breast cancer.

best wishes to you.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED