A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Just Diagnosed

Newbie New User

Just Diagnosed

Hello - My brother just received a Stage IV colon cancer diagnosis. What I know so far is that surgery is not an option, it's in his colon and liver (not lungs or brain) and that he'll be moving to chemo immediately. We have our first meeting with the oncologist next week. I'm looking for recommendations on questions to ask. You don't know what you don't know and I'm hoping you all may have some recommendations on how to get the best/right information up front. I appreciate your insights.

Jenny,
    Sorry to read of your brothers diagnosis of stage IV CRC.
    You haven’t mentioned his age, other health issues or his fitness level which can be a factor in his doctors recommendation of treatment options.

Having said this, treatment is pretty uniform but can vary where one lives.

The main thing is to listen to what the oncologist says, where you don’t understand ask for the information in plain language not medical speak until you do understand.

once the type of chemo is known thenplease come back and our veteren chemo members can then respond.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Jenny,

I am sorry of your brother’s diagnosis. I was luckier to have Stage 3 three years ago and had surgery and 12 rounds of lovely FU5 plus made seven of the rounds with oxciliplatin before the neuropathy set in. It is a strange journey, but I agree that listening to his oncologist is important. There are so many questions, and it helps to write them down before your next visit. Will look forward to updates.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    Jenny,
    Sorry to read of your brothers diagnosis of stage IV CRC.
    You havenít mentioned his age, other health issues or his fitness level which can be a factor in his doctors recommendation of treatment options.

Having said this, treatment is pretty uniform but can vary where one lives.

The main thing is to listen to what the oncologist says, where you donít understand ask for the information in plain language not medical speak until you do understand.

once the type of chemo is known thenplease come back and our veteren chemo members can then respond.
    Barry
    Thank you Barry! Will do!~

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jennynorcal View Post
    Thank you Barry! Will do!~
    Barry has given good advice. The other thing is whoever goes to any meeting with drs should write all questions and answers down. It is very easy to forget some or indeed all of the detail and afterwards it can all be a bit of a blur.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.