A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Recurrent or Second Primary Amelanotic Melanoma???

Newbie New User

Unhappy Recurrent or Second Primary Amelanotic Melanoma???

I was diagnosed with an amelanotic Clark’s level II malignant melanoma on my right forearm in 2001. I had a WLE with sentinel node biopsy. All was and has continued to be clear... This weekend I found an identical mole on my right shoulder; amelanotic, scaly, two dark spots . There is a satellite lesion, also amelanotic approximately 1 inch from it. I will be making an appointment first thing tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with recurrent or second primary amelanotic melanomas?

Senior User
    Angbux,

I don't have experience with that same type of melanoma, but it sounds like you are moving quickly to have it looked at, which would be my first thought. I also highly recommend seeking out a major cancer center for treatment when dealing with melanoma that is recurrent or more advanced. If you aren't already being seen by one, for help in finding such a center, a web site to try: https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/melanoma-treatment/treatment-center-finder

Wishing you all the best!

Cheri
    Vulvar mucosal melanoma, superficial spreading type, stage I-II, depth 1 mm with regression
    Radical right-sided hemivulvectomy, clitorectomy and bilateral sentinel lymph node biopsies, May 2013, lymph nodes clear
    PET CT, NED, July 2013
    Partial left hemivulvectomy/reconstructive surgery Oct 2013, found melanoma in situ on pathology, out to margins
    November/January - Underwent 9 vulvar biopsies to try to locate the MIS for surgical excision, unsuccessful
    May 2014 - Third vulvectomy/second left hemivulvectomy for wide local excision of MIS, MIS not identified on pathology
    PET CT, still NED, June 2015
    PET CT, NED, June 2016

Newbie New User
    Thank you, Cheri! I had it biopsied Thursday. I should hear back soon!!