A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Sister diagnosed with stage 3? liver cancer

Newbie New User

Sister diagnosed with stage 3? liver cancer

My sister has been diagnosed with stage 3 liver cancer. This is according to her husband who does not seem to care enough to pay attention to doctors. She had a port put in to receive chemo but it did not successfully work for her first treatment last week. The chemo drug leaked into her tissue and she is now in extreme pain. I have not been able to receive an answer from husband as to why they chose to put a port in and not administer chemo by IV. Does anyone have some info?

Hello, Harper--I'm sorry to hear about your sister, and I hope she will be able to resume her treatments soon.

Can you clarify--she received a port, but they did or did NOT use that to administer her chemo? By function, a port is an intravenous device used to administer drugs, such as chemotherapies. Once a port is inserted, it should usually be in place for about a week before the first chemo treatment is administered. The "leak" you described is often seen more with IVs than with ports.

If a patient is expected to require multiple and numerous treatments, a port is sometimes more convenient for both the patients and medical personnel, than to insert an IV in an arm on every visit. I chose not to have a port inserted during my treatments, and at one point, became very dehydrated. It became VERY difficult for the nurses to insert an IV for treatment, as my veins had receded from the surface of my skin. It was very difficult, AND painful to receive treatment that week.

You might consider asking your brother in-law if he could use an extra hand during your sister's visits to the doctor or treatments--then, you might be able to advocate for your sister better. Your brother in-law may feel overwhelmed, or simply not up to the task of retaining important information or asking questions.

I wish you and your sister well.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED
    Spring 2019 - NED