A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Stepmom has Stage |V OC

Newbie New User

Stepmom has Stage IV OC

My stepmother was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer back in late November of 2017 and had surgery on January 4, 2018 to remove the cancer.

The surgeon staged the cancer at IV and she left the hospital with several infections that caused some serious health issues, including the inability to eat which is still a problem to this day and has caused a weight loss of approximately 70 pounds.

Her Oncologist started chemotherapy about 2 weeks ago, however she had a severe allergic reaction to the prescribed chemo which landed her in the emergency room, thus halting the chemotherapy treatment.

She started chemotherapy (different treatment) again on Friday, however now due to her already declining health due to an inability to eat, she was re-admitted to the hospital emergency room yesterday due to malnutrition and dehydration.

All of this sounds like a nightmare, and it certainly has been for the family, and although I am not a doctor nor do I have any medical background, common sense would indicate that given the complications that she's currently struggling with and her current state of health would give pause to any oncologist and they would want to determine the reason she's not able to hold down food or water, prior to resuming any course of chemotherapy.

Is this a reasonable assumption/expectation?

thanks in advance..
    Last edited by jazzBox; 03-25-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Hi there,
    I understand your concerns here. Have the drs given a reason why they think she is having these problems? I am thinking you said she was admitted on Saturday, likely when her onc drs would not see her or comment on things today (Monday). Anything new?

I am so sorry she is struggling so. I would request/push professionally for answers from the drs as to their thoughts on this. If you are having problems with them not really answering, is there a patient advocate you can ask to help intervene?

Sorry I do not have answers you are looking for. Yes they do lie with the drs and sounds like some advocating needs to be done.

All the best to all of you and let us know. Her story may help someone else on here.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jorola View Post
    Hi there,
    I understand your concerns here. Have the drs given a reason why they think she is having these problems? I am thinking you said she was admitted on Saturday, likely when her onc drs would not see her or comment on things today (Monday). Anything new?

I am so sorry she is struggling so. I would request/push professionally for answers from the drs as to their thoughts on this. If you are having problems with them not really answering, is there a patient advocate you can ask to help intervene?

Sorry I do not have answers you are looking for. Yes they do lie with the drs and sounds like some advocating needs to be done.

All the best to all of you and let us know. Her story may help someone else on here.
    They've been trying to find a cause for almost four months and haven't been able to determine the underlying issue, However, thank you for you recommendation regarding contacting a Patient Advocate.

We were able to find some Patient Advocacy information on the hospital website where she is receiving care.

Thanks again for your help.