A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mum Lung Metastases stage 4

Newbie Regular User

Mum Lung Metastases stage 4

My mother early 2013 have a surgery to remove 1 of her breast. But after surgery. One of a big tumor disappear. After that mum went chemo, radiation and Medicine to remove rest of cells. And during remission went follow up check and scan.

This year February. Mum start complain about back pain. At first we believe it might be due to arthritis... gradually the pain spread around TOP to Low back.. During the doctor visit. Mum went for xray. Saw possible tumor in 3 area. Then did a ct mr scan soon.

Lung met with thoracic lumbar t4 to t9 tumor and cell which might cause compression to spine. And also adrenal gland tumor.

Currently mum at hospital after doing lung biopsy. To determine what lung cell she have. To start treatment for lung and gland. Currently do radiation for her back.

What we worry.

1. Paralysis and dementia.
    2. Her cancer.

I feel there nothing I could do to treat my Mother. Back when she was treating her breast cancer. It werenít like now as breast cancer stages were recovering. But that disappear tumor from breast seem to return and grow in lung as well as spread to adrenal gland and back lumbar bone.

My mum now show signs of memory loss. Doc suspect it might be dementia.

My mum have been a good housewife. Never step out into work politics Nor have she spoke bad of anyone. What had she done to suffer like this. There are bad peoples outside but they didnít have such cancer. I also saw my aunt die from blood cancer last year. A good person too.

Iím sorry. Could it be some sins I committed that God decide to punish my mum to teach me a lesson.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello sadguy83 and sorry to hear of your Mom's health and my thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

Now, once the biopsy is completed and the cells can be examined under a microscope by a pathologist, you should have more answers as to type of cancer she is dealing with. This could be a recurrence of Breast Cancer or a different type of cancer all together.

The doctors are addressing the immediate concerns as related to the spine mets. Radiation will be performed. I am not sure how old your dear Mum is but I tend to think perhaps the doctors overseeing her care should be performing a brain MRI to rule out brain mets. If brain mets exist, this could account for the dementia type symptoms occurring.

At this point, there are still some unanswered questions so please do update when you know more and we then can do our best to answer any questions you have.

Lisa

Dearest sadguy,

I am so sorry for your mom's difficulties and how it must be affecting the family. She sound's like a wonderful woman.

No you did nothing wrong, this is just life sometimes. Do what you can to support her and as a family stand together. See what comes of these tests and then take it step by step from there. The doctors will probably be able to answer some of your questions once they get the results back.

Give us an update once you know more. We are here to listen.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Newbie Regular User
    Vomit in the morning and also giddy. Low in sodium, urinary tract infection. Just went for brain scan. Will scan the stomach too to find out vomiting causes.

I begin to fear it is brain tumor upon researching.

Does this mean my mum is going to leave this world?

sadguy83:

Sorry to hear of the latest update. While we can not even begin to guess the cause, allow the doctors to do their job and hopefully can establish the cause of your dear Mum's latest developments.

As we are not doctors, so put some faith in them that they are doing everything they can to stabilize your Mum and once that is accomplished, more answers regarding possible treatment answers with be offered.

Keep us updated sadguy83 and know we are here for you.

Lisa

NO, it does not mean she will go, i had a Brain tumor too from my Lung cancer, i am still here and alive. So don't give up.
    Just be there for her,
    best wishes Petra
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    August 18, all still same, living life every day
    January 2019 < CT said NED!!!!
    Fingers crossed

I now it is hard but try to not research these things but wait to you speak to the drs. There is a lot of misinformation out there and each case is different. Be brave for your mom and hang in there.
    Thinking of you and your mom.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Newbie Regular User
    Just discharged... This is the latest diagnosis.

From last time metastatic malignant neoplasms to female breast, surgery one big lump disappear to current sods: bones, node, lungs, r adrenal gland. The bones refer to t4 to t9 which under radiation currently.

A secondary uncommon diagnosis of short term memory loss - early dementia ??? Was stated too.

Well my mum keep repeating questions on medicine and her illness. Have show short memory loss too. But I also think questioning us could be anxiety worried or old ages Long winded speaking.

sadguy83

You may be current in the fact that her current mental state may be contributed to the diagnosis and how overwhelmed she must be.

At this time, perhaps keep a notebook and write down any changes in her mental capacity as well as physical. Keep a list of meds handy and update them as needed. If you keep everything organized, it helps to present questions at doctor appointments.

Now, since it is confirmed it is not lung cancer, i will move your thread to our Breast Cancer forum as trearment can greatly vary from one type of cancer to another.

Lisa

Newbie Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa1962 View Post
    sadguy83

You may be current in the fact that her current mental state may be contributed to the diagnosis and how overwhelmed she must be.

At this time, perhaps keep a notebook and write down any changes in her mental capacity as well as physical. Keep a list of meds handy and update them as needed. If you keep everything organized, it helps to present questions at doctor appointments.

Now, since it is confirmed it is not lung cancer, i will move your thread to our Breast Cancer forum as trearment can greatly vary from one type of cancer to another.

Lisa
    There cell in lung too.