A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Spouses of people with stage 4 colon cancer

Newbie New User

Spouses of people with stage 4 colon cancer

Is there a forum, or support group, for those of us with spouses in stage 4? I've tried the search here and my usual friend Google, and I'm not finding anything other than "care giver" forums which seem focus on the other person.

I suppose I'm looking for a bit of support for me. Hubby is on his 23rd Folfox, (after first round of 6 Folfiri) and there is no end in sight as this is maintenance. Colon has been removed, 8 inoperable mets to liver. The downhill slide is becoming moguls, instead of the bunny hill it was a year ago.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend an online support group. We live in the country. "Real people" support groups are too far away (hour travel each way) for me to leave him for that long. No family nearby to help with that.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderoo View Post
    Is there a forum, or support group, for those of us with spouses in stage 4? I've tried the search here and my usual friend Google, and I'm not finding anything other than "care giver" forums which seem focus on the other person.

I suppose I'm looking for a bit of support for me. Hubby is on his 23rd Folfox, (after first round of 6 Folfiri) and there is no end in sight as this is maintenance. Colon has been removed, 8 inoperable mets to liver. The downhill slide is becoming moguls, instead of the bunny hill it was a year ago.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend an online support group. We live in the country. "Real people" support groups are too far away (hour travel each way) for me to leave him for that long. No family nearby to help with that.

Thank you for any suggestions.
    I am sorry to hear about your husband. There are quite a few posters on here that are spouses of people with cancer and although we don't call ourselves a support group I would like to think that the forum can give support and advice for spouses.

I am afraid I don't know of any specific forum.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

Regular User
    Powderoo,
    Are you still on the forum? My wife has stage 4 Colon cancer and I could share some insights and our experiences with this dreadful disease. Though we are more than 2 years after diagnosis and same day surgery my wife is doing quite well. She has had good response to the palliative chemo regimen she has been taking, positive tumor shrinkage but no NED. We fight on, making concessions and hopefully educated choices. I am more than willing to share with you and listen.
    I hope you are doing ok and I hope your husband is doing the best he can.
    Ron