A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Diagnosed today

Senior User
    Hi there, I've been thinking about you. Thanks for letting us know the RH went well. That's great!

Sorry to hear there are next steps. I had lymph node involvement too, and radiation and chemo. I can answer any questions you have about either. These treatments combined are very effective at eliminating cancer cells. Do you know how many doses of radiation and what type of chemo you'll be getting?

Regular User
    Not exactly. I know treatment is supposed to last 6 weeks. Cisplatin is the drug Iím getting. But I am going to get a second opinion before I start the treatment. I donít really want to because itís far away, but i guess itíll be better that way. Iím scared this is going to kill me and that Iím doomed. I have family members that are making me feel like I am terminal or something. My mom is getting advice from medical people she knows and has herself so worked up about it that I feel even more so like this is going to kill me. Iím so terrified. Iíll go through whatever torture it takes to get rid of this crap, but Iím overwhelmed with thoughts that itís going to come back. My gyno upped my anti-depressants and is getting me anxiety meds. Obviously I need them.

Hi,
    I am glad surgery went well but sorry to here there was lymph node involvement. I know you are stressed to the max right now. It is good your dr adjusted your meds to help you cope with what is happening. I think it shows strength to ask for help when you need it. Even though it is medical people you mom is getting advice from they cannot not know the whole picture which is the only way to provide a solid medical opinion on your exact situation. Fair enough you want to get second opinion though. No harm in that. Yes there is lymph node involvement but no that does not mean it is the end or that you are doomed. I know you are trying not to feel that way but the thoughts still invade your mind. My husband has stage 3b lung cancer with lymph nodes involved - naturally everyone wrote him off. But not his onc. My hubby had etoposide and cisplatin and radiation too. Now he is NED - no evidence of disease 4 years later. All I am is saying is hang in there, try not to put the horse before the cart and take it step by step. As shown with my husband's case, even dire cases have shown there are amazing outcomes. Chin up dear lady. Thinking of you.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Senior User
    I had the same- cisplatin and 6 weeks of radiation. That is the standard of care for stage 2. I am NED too. Treatments were manageable. Radiation toward the end bothered my bowels but that was a temporary side effect.

Your family members are worried of course but there is no reason to believe you are terminal. Doctors would know for certain post surgery and pet scan if it had advanced to that level. Don't let anyone alarm you needlessly. When and where is your second opinion appointment?

Regular User
    I have a consultation with my medical oncologist Wednesday. Then on Monday night my mother and I are flying to Houston for a second opinion at MD Anderson Tuesday. I'll be there at least until Thursday and maybe Friday. The 20th I have my radiation consultation.

Good luck. Let us know how the appointment goes.
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Senior User
    Any updates? How are you doing? I've been thinking about you. I hope the appointments were productive.

Regular User
    Hello! So I have updates:

Went to MD Anderson and learned a lot. They were wonderful and they provided me with a lot of support and resources. They agree with my diagnosis and the treatment plan I was given. My medical oncology appointment was Tuesday. My radiation oncology appointment was Wednesday and I had my CT yesterday. Things are going well, and I start treatment on Tuesday. I think the plan is 28 fractions and 3 brachy. I'm ready to get this over with!

Thanks for the update. May treatment go well and few side effects. Please continue to let us know how you are feeling ok?
    dx - April 20/14
    June 23 - chemo finished
    Married July 19/14
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Senior User
    I don't remember exactly but this sounds like what I had. It's great you received such good care at MD A. You sound ready to kick this in the butt! Let us know how it goes on Tuesday. We are cheering you on.