A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diagnosed today

Senior User
    I'm pretty sure cancer doesn't normally cause pain unless there is a tumor pressing up on nerves. Other things (like endometriosis, fibroids, etc) do cause menstrual like pains. I know it's hard not to imagine the worst but try to trust your doctor on this until you hear otherwise. A scan will show if it has spread.
    Do you have weekend plans or anything to keep busy?

Newbie Regular User
    The weather is going to be crummy so Saturday will just be cleaning. Well be going to church on Sunday and I am the chapter advisor of a sorority at a local university. Their last meeting for the semester is Sunday night. They all know about it though so Ill likely burst into tears and be a mess. The same goes for church. They all know and this will be the first time seeing everyone since the diagnosis.

Senior User
    You have some amazing supports to help you through this. I say go ahead and cry tomorrow. It'll be a good release. I remember at my most vulnerable, the slightest thing would make me burst into tears. I couldn't control it and eventually stopped caring. People are understanding.

You cannot be strong 100% of the time. You are going to have moments. I did too. I always say go ahead have your moment, let it out how you need to and when it is done pick yourself back up and carry on. Ignoring those emotions is no good either as one day you will explode like Pompeii.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Senior User
    Thinking of you today. I hope it is encouraging and comforting to see that you have people supporting you.

Newbie Regular User
    Thank you. I went to church and several people approached me to let me know I'm in their prayers. I started to break down a little and then got it together. I ended up skipping the sorority meeting though. I just wasn't feeling up for it. All I want to do is sleep, and it's allergy season so I'm feeling crummy on top of everything else. I left announcements letting them know I'm still available and I won't be stepping down, in case they are worried about that.

Senior User
    Good for you. Self care is important and you should be especially kind to yourself now. Sleep, rest, meditate, indulge in whatever lifts your spirits (except smoking my doctor warned). It sounds like church went well. So wonderful you have people praying for you.

Newbie Regular User
    Sandy,
    Did you have to have surgery for your cancer? I'm googling the different kinds of hysterectomies to prepare myself for Wednesday.

Senior User
    I didn't. My tumor was contained but large enough that my onc recommended radiation and chemo instead. He said we could do the hysterectomy but I might still need radiation afterwards so we bypassed the surgery. I think the cervix removal is called radical trachelectomy. It's done laparoscopically (as is a full hysterectomy) so the recovery is easier.

My suggestion- put off researching until after Wednesday when you know more. Are you feeling ok about the appointment? Is someone going with you? Have them take notes and bring a list of questions for your doctor. Other than that little prep, try to stay busy with other things. I know that's easier said than done.

Newbie Regular User
    I'm trying to stop researching it, but I'm obsessed. I feel like if my life isn't over, that it's going to be cut short due to a recurrence or something. I'm really nervous about tomorrow. My husband took off of work so he can go with me.