A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Hubby has Stage 4 Lung Cancer with mets. He was Dianosed on January 15, 2018

Hubby has Stage 4 Lung Cancer with mets. He was Dianosed on January 15, 2018

and went through tests and they found out that Keytruna would be a match for him he has had 2 treatments and everyday is pain in back was getting worst, I kept calling the Oncalist who kept increasing the pain meds to no avail (hubby is not a complainer ) finally he could not walk. so I took him in to the hospital and they found that he had big tumors pressing on his spinal cord and was told if he doesn't have a operation now he will be paralyzed, so by ambulance went to a great neurosurgeon that operated took 5 hrs and said that the cancer had spread all down his spine, he got a lot of it out. now he is in rehab for 3 weeks then Radiation to kill what was left. then a further toxic treatment to kill the cancer. My question is he is a 70 yr old vietnan vet and ex smoker a wonderful & kind man. I want him to have a quality of life I don't want him to suffer, the hope is that the radiation &other treatment will control this cancer it won't cure . I don't think that the Keytruna helped . if anybody has any information that would help please let me know I am his caregiver and I love him so much. and want the best for him Thank You and God Bless everyone going through this horrible Cancer Sucks!

I am so sorry to hear of your dear husband's situation Barbara. Some people have a good response with Keytruda, others don't. You are right is just plain sucks. I truly hope that with the operation and the radiation he can have a good quality of life. I think the important thing to do is spend time together and make wonderful memories to add to the ones you already have. Whether he has 6 months or 6 years or 16 years, just love one another and never take time for granted.

Barbara do you have family or friends that can help you? Have you contacted hospice? This is not a time to be prideful or shy in asking for help. Think of t this way, the more help you get the more quality time you get to spend with your darling husband. If you haven't, please look into it. A social worker at the hospital/treatment center should be able to help you there.

And we are always here to listen and answer any questions we can to the best of our ability so please stop by and let us know how you and hubby are doing ok?

Thinking of you both,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto

Newbie New User
    Hello Barbara, sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. When my wife had a sudden change in personality, with passing headache, that happened in 2 days over the weekend, had to pick her up from work, she could not concentrate. I took her to the ER, found she had multiple tumors on the brain, one larger one had shifted the centerline of the brain, very scary. Diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, we were on Keytruda from May until November when disease showed progression, now on chemo. My advise is to write things down, and ask lots of questions with the doctors, try to stay positive with your husband, can be very hard but, has to be done. Try to keep his spirits up and active. My wife and I are 1 yr in now, she is back to work, and we try to stay as normal as we can. I hope this helps you, this is not easy to go through.