A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: 3cm Lymphnode in Periparotid region + thyroid nodules very scared

Newbie New User

3cm Lymphnode in Periparotid region + thyroid nodules very scared

Iím a 31 yr. female, two young kiddos. I have chronic allergies, ear popping and post nasal drip for years so I never gAve those symptoms much thought. . Until now. I recently had to have my thyroid ultrasound and asked for a prominent spot on my upper neck to be checked. I have a multi-nodule goiter and one is pretty large so they want to biopsy a few nodes to be sure they are ok. The report says Ďnone of the above nodules demonstrate microcalcifications or increased vaacularityí. 3 small calcified lymphnodes are present in the neck but seem to indicate being that way from a prior infection versus a merltetastic disease.

Aside from that - I was correct and I do have a large node in my upper neck in the Ďparotid regioní - 3cm Ďhypoechoic Solid lesion with hyperechoic central region suggestive of an enlarged lymphnodeí - further evaluation with CT is advised. This node is what scares me the most. In my age group there isnít much the shows up and what Iíve seen is pretty aggressive.

I noticed some tenderness in my jaw on that side off and on from about 5 months ago as I was hit with two back to back sinus infection type illnesses. But I wouldnít think it could be and stay enlarged to that size.

I know no one is a doctor on here but google is only showing worst possible outcomes. If anyone has experienced anything similar and could offer feedback I would appreciate it. A rare head and neck cancer is all I can think about and those seem very grim. 3cm is very large and now in the last few days Iíve been thinking of the neck, back and leg pain I get. I have pain and popping in my right shoulder off and on for a few months. My neck pops a lot and I have a crackly sound at the top of my neck and base of my head when I turn it. (Iíve had this for a long time but of course Iím now thinking itís all connected) And I have constant ear popping, some achiness in both ears off and on, and off and on postnasal drip for a couple months which Iíve alwaya attributed to my chronic sinus and allergy issues. I canít eat because of my nerves, Iím aching and I have post nasal drip (again, right now) I feel so worried so if you read this :/ thanks!

(Also wanted to add that I have had pain in my lower right side off and on - it started in January- I thought it was my gallbladder so went to the emergency room. They did an abdominal CT, andultrasound on gallbladder, and bloodwork and all was normal and clear. I know thatís all separate from my neck issues but Iím hoping maybe it helps me to know if something has spread drastically it would have shown then?)
    Last edited by GoldenT; 05-16-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Additional info

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Sorry your worry has brought you here and yes, you are correct, we can not even begin to guess and cannot. That is left up to a medically trained professional.

You also know that Googling symptoms is a bad idea. Google can convince just about anyone they are seriously ill. Remember, Google has no medical degree. Most of us will agree there is some value in researching via the internet once, and only once, an actual diagnosis has been made.

You have an extensive history of allergies. Allergies can and do wreak havoc on oneís immune system. Our lymph nodes rise and shrink, sometimes never returning to a normal size. They are doing their job.

Nothing in your post suggests a concern of Lymphoma or other type of cancers but again, not medically qualified. Make an appointment, follow through with the CT scan and go from there.

At the top of our Worried Forum are some ďstickyĒ threads which may be helpful to read. Stay calm, speak with your doctor and do not jump to the extreme in thinking it must be cancer. It is not cancer until pathology proves otherwise.

Good luck to you and keep us posted after you visit with your doctor.

Newbie New User
    Thank you for your reply. I try very hard to stay away from google but last night I was very weak and scared. I cannot sleep and Iím worried about my babies and husband.

The problem with my severe health anxiety is that I canít seem to rationalize or picture any possible, good outcome. I just needed a place to vent these fears because it feels very real this time.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Understandable but do not Google. If you have a history of severe health anxiety, you must address that first as that is driving you to believe the worst and driving unhealthy thinking.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa1962 View Post
    Understandable but do not Google. If you have a history of severe health anxiety, you must address that first as that is driving you to believe the worst and driving unhealthy thinking.
    You are right - itís a very unhealthy thought process I just havenít ever been able to shake it. But I appreciate your reply. I am under the impression that 3cm is very large and cause for concern in a lymph node and especially in that region of the neck so I guess thatís why this feels so concerning and real to me and why I wanted to post here in case anyone had a similar experience.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    You are a young mom. That alone produces worry. Should it? That is arguable, but the answer is: No! But we are weak and we worry. Google is a mortician and not a doctor. Would you stop by the funeral home just to see what was happening? Of course not! Do not go there. One thing I noticed is that you tend to lump every single symptom that you experience into an aggregate assumption that cancer must somehow be involved.

Not at all. Far from it, in fact. Nodules are very common. Thyroid, lung and elsewhere, nodules are a human condition. They are nodules and not tumors. Aches, pains, allergies, infections. All connected, and all produce an immune response and potential lymph node enlargement. Good! Without a functioning immune system, you would be doomed!

You are a worrier. You might try this: get a spiral notebook. Each day and throughout the day, write a your worries in it, like a journal. Once a week or so, go back through that journal and cross off the worries that never came to pass. I would bet that you cross all, or nearly all, of your worries off. What does this do? Why do it?

It empowers you to see physical rather than just mental evidence of worry. It shows that you have power over the worries and that the worries are not fact. It turns negative energy into positive action. It graphically demonstrates that worry is useless and even destructive. Those around you know that you are worrying - you cannot hide it from them.

If you have any type of anxiety - and 1 in 5 today do suffer from it - then action against it will help both you and those you love. There are drugs available, but they have their own limitations and problems. There is also Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which teaches you how not to worry. Imagine that! It is worth looking into, as you deserve to live in peace with those two little blessings running around your house.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial of drug KD025, a ROCK2 inhibitor that is believed to help with chronic GvHD.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, treatment with Imbruvica (Ibrutinib) or clinical trial of Interleukin2 being considered.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Having had both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.