A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: “abnormal lymph node architecture” ?

Newbie New User

“abnormal lymph node architecture” ?

Hello everyone,

So I have this swollen lymph node under my ear, close to my jaw. Noticed it around 4 months ago(could have been there much longer though, just never noticed it). Two months ago I went to the doc, got blood work which looked good. He also gave me antibiotics, which didn’t make it any smaller. I have no weightloss, no itching, no drenching sweat, overall I feel really good.

So we waited a while to see if it will grow or shrink.... It didn’t grow or shrink but stayed the same. So finally decided to get an ultrasound.

After reading the report, there are a few things which concern me, first is the size: everyone that felt the lymph node estimated it to be around 1.5 to 2 cm, but the ultrasound showed it measures 3.5 cm. It’s surprising because It doesn’t feel that big, in fact if I move my head in certain angles, you can’t even feel it. 3.5 is pretty abnormally large right?

Second, in the report it states “abnormal lymph node architecture”, this makes me concerned. Has anyone ever had something similar? Then just turned out to be nothing?
    I got a core biopsy done and am waiting for the results.

Thank you for reading my post, any input is appreciated.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this. While whatever you have does not seem to be an immediate threat, the "abnormal architecture" bit, although not clear, sounds concerning. Lymphoma will efface nodal architecture, in that the tumor cells will essentially take the node over and the normal internal sgtructure will be gone. The flip side is that even if it is lymphoma, it certainly seems to be a slow growing type, and for some reason, has not apparently involved other nodes - that part is unusual.

Sadly, all you can do is wait for pathology to return.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TREC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measureable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial of drug KD025, a ROCK2 inhibitor that is believed to help with chronic GvHD.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    To date: 18 chemotherapeutic drugs in 9 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 4 post-transplant immuno-suppressant drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from scanning from 45+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans. Having had both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    I got my results back. Thank God it is just a reactive lymph node.

It was a very stressful few days, I couldn't eat, sleep or even think straight. During my anxiety fueled web searches I read dozens of threads on different websites, especially those where people were worried about lymphoma. In many of these threads the person never followed up with what happened. I guess this is why I am posting this, to give anyone else in my situation some hope. Things can seem bad, but turn out OK.

Keep your faith in God, and pray, it helps tremendously during tough times. Also some advice: do not spend too much time on google, as that can really make your anxiety go crazy.

I wish all of you good health.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Good news! Glad to hear it.