A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Bereavement counseling

Bereavement counseling

As many of you know, I lost my husband of 47 years Jan.2,2018. So, we are heading toward 6 months of being without him. Although we are doing better, we have a ways to go. You never get over it, you just get through it.
    Something that helps me through it is the bereavement counseling the hospice has offered. We get free bereavement counseling for 13 months from the day we lost him. I also go to support groups every other week. They are holding a special one time workshop I will be attending. Whatever and whenever they offer something, I go. It ends in January so then I hope then to find a support group through the American Cancer Society.
    My son is not as open to all this though he did just attend his second bereavement counseling. He misses being able to talk to his Dad for advice and companionship. I think he got to the point he needed to talk to another male, one trained to help him. Heís angry at God for ďnot saving his DadĒ. I reason with him this was not Godís doing. Itís Godís promise he will walk beside us through all this.
    Although my anxiety continues to raise itís ugly head, it is much better. God, Jesus, counseling, support groups,meds and meditation tapes have helped. But I will always miss my sweet husband with all my heart.
    All of you were so wonderful,to us. I will always be very grateful to all of you.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.

Senior User
    Marian I'm happy to know you are doing better. Give yourself another 6 months or so and you will start breathing a little better… not much but better, and when you are ready, a new life will unfold ahead of you.

Best,

Marie

Thank you,. Marie. You never get over it, you just get through it. Trying really hard but missing him so much.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.