A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My grandmother has lung cancer

Newbie New User

My grandmother has lung cancer

This is my first post because I just was hoping to get some support. My wonderful and amazing grandmother (turning 85 next week) was just diagnosed with lung cancer.

Iím not even sure of what to make of it. Iím staying as positive as possible but am afraid to jinx anything. Itís been a crazy few weeks but I am hoping for the best as it is all I can do.

It all started with her sciatic hip pain and an emergency room visit that led to a CT scan to show a 2.5 cm nodule in the upper left lobe. This finding shocked us because my grandmother had been so healthy. Never smoked. Never had any issues except for high blood pressure and osteoarthritis. This led to the multiple tests. Abdomen and brain MRIs Came back clear and PET scan came back clear with no sign of activity elsewhere. The only thing that lit up was the nodule.

She had her VATS biopsy today which came back positive (after pathology almost ruled it negative. The dr argued with them to get a second opinion.) so they removed the left lobe and I am so amazed by her because she already felt great besides the normal pain associated with a lobectomy.

Now we wait for the full pathology results (staging, type, treatment) to hope that maybe nothing else is needed but who knows. Is there anything that at least is in our favor? I donít believe my grandmother wants to do chemo cause of her age.

Sorry to ramble and vent. Thanks for listening

Senior User
    Hi and welcome!
    I think she is one of the lucky ones, if i can say so. As she has no spread of the cancer! So she can have hope that with surgery all is gone. But i think they still would do chemo to make sure.
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    Fingers crossed

Newbie New User
    Thank you. I am keeping my head up. We are hoping she gets discharged today. It is going to be a long recovery but I will be strong for her.

Regular User
    She does sound quite lucky!
    Don't be afraid to jinx it, you deserve to rejoice in the good moments.
    Thoughts are with you.
    Wake up
    Do good
    Repeat

Hello, and welcome to the forum. My mom had a similar procedure in her late 60's, and will be turning 79 this October.

Having the ability to treat lung cancer with surgery only is a good thing. It means they caught it early, before it had a chance to spread. My mom's was caught early, and she needed nothing else: no radiation, no chemo. Having a lobectomy can be rough, especially on older people, as it greatly reduces your oxygen capacity, but it can be managed. As your grandmother heals, she'll need to slowly get back to her normal routines of activity. Depending on her general health, they may even offer some type of cardio exercise.

I wish her continued good health!
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED

Newbie New User
    Thank you very much for the positive vibes. She was discharged the day after the hospital and is already on her feet! She has been diligent with her breathing exercises and is doing her best to get better. I am so amazed at her perseverance. This Friday we receive the path results. Hoping for good news and wondering what we have going for us.

Newbie New User
    Great news for today! Path report showed no signs of spread, clear margins, and the tumor was half the size than stated in the scans. It was ruled a stage 1 nsclc cancer. My grandmother will just need a 6 month follow up to make sure of no recurrence.

Hi, Joe-

That's about the best news you could possibly receive for a case of lung cancer! Very happy to hear your news. I wish your grandmother a speedy recovery and continued good health. Keep doing those breathing exercises!
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED