A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father Diagnosed

Moderator Senior User BrigitteM's Avatar
    I've heard oncologists talking about alternating chemotherapies to avoid resistance; I haven't seen it in practice frequently. The more I know, the less I know... I learned that there are so many parameters that needs to be considered when an oncologist decides which regimen to prescribe.

I also would like to give an accolade to all the caregivers. I was the patient, and went through this horrific journey, a whole year of treatment. It was not easy for me but I was doing the journey. It is SO much harder for the entourage. I just discovered recently that all my friends and family thought I wasn't going to make it; they saw me losing weight, losing my hair, being so weak... On the other end, I never believed I was going to die; I was determined to go through the whole treatment, and there was no room for the worries. Again, I realize now how much harder it was for the people living around me.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    1/12/2016 No symptoms except ongoing fatigue; blood test revealed elevated liver enzymes
    1/18/2016 Liver ultrasound, then MRI confirmed enlarged bile duct
    1/21/2016 ERCP and placement of a temporary stent
    1/28/2016 CT-Scan showed a lesion on the head of pancreas
    2/09/2016 2nd ERCP + EUS + FNA
    2/12/2016 DX Borderline resectable pancreas ductal adenocarcinoma - Stage 3 @ 61
    2/24/2016 FOLFIRINOX 3 cycles (6 infusions)
    5/12/2016 CYBER-KNIFE Stereotactic Radiation 3 sessions
    6/16/2016 WHIPPLE + portal vein and right hepatic artery reconstructions - 0/19 nodes pos - no mets. Restaged to 1A
    8/31/2016 FOLFOX for 3 cycles (6 infusions)
    Sept 2016 Know Your Tumor - PANCAN.org
    11/4/2016 CT Scan clear - NED
    May 2017 Liver lesion - DX mild fatty liver disease - NED
    Aug 2017 Several tiny lung nodules - NED
    Feb 2018 Stable lung nodules - NED
    May 2018. Lung nodules are growing; possibly mets, but still considered NED

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigitteM View Post
    I also would like to give an accolade to all the caregivers. I was the patient, and went through this horrific journey, a whole year of treatment. It was not easy for me but I was doing the journey. It is SO much harder for the entourage. I just discovered recently that all my friends and family thought I wasn't going to make it; they saw me losing weight, losing my hair, being so weak... On the other end, I never believed I was going to die; I was determined to go through the whole treatment, and there was no room for the worries. Again, I realize now how much harder it was for the people living around me.
    couldn't have said it any better. Of course i am still going through my battle, and now my mother in law has lymphoma! It truly never ends.
    eds
    1/8/17 Diagnosed with Operable PanCan
    1/31/17 Started Immune therapy clinical Trial at Hopkins
    2/13/17 Whipple Surgery
    5/8/17 Completed SBRT treatment at Hopkins
    5/16/17 Started first cycle of Chemo Gemcitabine and Xeloda
    6/1/17 Admitted back into Hopkins with Gas in Abdomen from perforated bowel
    7/5/17 After a week in the hospital and a months rest delay Chemo for 3 months
    7/21/17 Quarterly CT Scan shows no evidence of Recurrence
    9/29/17 Quarterly CT Scan shows local recurrence of growth on the pancreas body
    10/11/17 Begin Folfirinox regimen for the foreseeable future
    12/27/17 After 4 cycles of Folfirinox Quarterly CT shows no spread of cancer and marginal shrinkage of tumor
    3/19/18 After 5 more cycles of Folfirinox my Quarterly CT Scan showed no spread.
    4/11/18 CA19-9 down from 4800 in December to 384
    6/8/18 PET Scan shows no mets, still local to pancreas. CA19-9 down to 165
    7/5/18 Started Proton Therapy at the University of MD, 36 treatments over 18 days