A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My mother has Adenocarcinoma lung cancer

Newbie New User

My mother has Adenocarcinoma lung cancer

My mother has Adenocarcinoma, she is 58 years old. She had brain metastasis and they make a surgery to remove it. Now, she is treated using Geotrif. It's so called target therapy. Also, they made 2 week radiotherapy with one week distance between it.
    I'm constantly reading about lung cancer and want to research all the treatment possibilities. She drinks Noni and Aloe vera and other immunostimulators. I'm going to order Broccoli extract too. What kind of another treatment would you advise me to try?
    And what about immunotherapy - I don't know much about it. I've heard it's very expensive.
    We're from Bulgaria, we make the therapy here. I've also thought of treatment in another country. Do you know better alternatives? Thanks.
    Last edited by catgirl; 07-27-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello catgirl and sorry to hear of your Mom's diagnosis and at a relatively young age.

As far as alternatives, we do not get into so called "voodoo" medicine here but treatments proven to be effective, science based. Now, not all patients are candidates for certain types of treatment. Immunotherapy has shown some very good results. I would definitely discuss this with the medical team to see if she is a candidate. They also should be checking for gene mutations which can help to identify various treatment options.

As far as supplements go, please do check with her oncologist as some supplements can counter the effects of certain chemotherapy agents and other treatments so best to always discuss any changes with her physicians. I would be very careful in ordering anything as there are a lot of so called people and places claiming there products "cure" cancer. This people prey on the desperate so do take caution when giving into these. The only thing they are good at is taking your money with no moral conviction.

Please do keep us posted and check back often for responses. Our members here are a wealth of information and are very caring and supportive.

Lisa

Newbie New User
    Thank you, Lisa!
    Yes, I know it's risky to order something by Internet. This morning I asked my mother's doctor what he thinks about this Broccoli extracts and he told me that he doesn't know all that kind of alternatives and to read carefully about if and if I decide, to give it to my mother.
    I don't know what's the treatment in the other countries but here in Bulgaria doctors don't explain to you and you have to read in the web for more information.
    The doctors in the Bulgaria capital made this kind of checking gene mutation and that's why they identified that Geotrif will be the exact treatment.
    I'm just very scared and I want to do everything I can to he

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    catgirl,

It does sound like her doctor is identifying the best treatment protocol for your Mom but you should be able to ask questions and have them answered regardless of where you reside. Trying to figure out the medical lingo can be most difficult.

My suggestion, keep a notebook handy. Write down your questions as they come to mind and then at her appointments, ask that your questions be answered in terms you can understand. If the doctor is not willing to spend the time answering, ask if there is someone on staff, nurse, patient advocate, etc. who may be able to help. I would also use the notebook to write down concerns. Things like helping with her appetite, nausea (if that is an issue), etc.

It is important your Mom drinks plenty of fluid and eats things high in protein. Protein drinks are very good for her.

You are doing a great job and being a good advocate for your Mom. Remember to take time for yourself. That is important. Are there other family members who are helping? Any offer of help should be accepted. Even just simple offers like grocery shopping, making meals, running errands can really mean a lot so consider accepting if someone offers.

Lisa

Newbie New User
    Thank you for your advices! I'll search for protein drinks. She has less appetite and nausea from time to time. It may be due to the spine radiotherapy or medicaments.
    I'm working in the Bulgarian capital and my mom lives in my home town. I was off this week to go with her to the hospital for the radiotherapy.
    My father lives with mom and he's next to her, shopping and taking care of her after work. I come every friday to sunday here to be with her. But my sister doesn't research so much for the disease and doesn't look for another solutions.
    I'm planning to go to another hospital in the capital for consultation, to show the documents, epicrisses - I want to ask questions about immunotherapy and to get another doctor opinion.
    Last edited by catgirl; 07-27-2018 at 07:39 PM.