A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hubby has Lung Cancer that has Most Likely Metastasized :(

Just ask the doc about the pain meds, if he can't take them he may can take others? They will find a way.
    I really hope you two will be going to your trip, and hey , for the cold nights just cuddle up!!!
    Fingers crossed all goes well.
    Best wishes Petra
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    August 18, all still same, living life every day
    Fingers crossed

Thanks Petra. Bless your heart it looks like you are fighting a heck of a battle yourself. Please keep me posted on how you are doing.

As far as the meds, the oncologist knew what he was on when we saw him last week, and he didn't say one way or another whether it was a problem or not, but then I saw that post that said you couldn't take Tylenol with immunotherapy and thought hummm that could be a problem.

The oncologist did say that if we wanted him to he would take over prescribing his pain meds so hubby wouldn't have to go to the Pain Management doctor too so we are going to let him do that. The way he talked things were probably going to get really bad pain wise in the future, (I think possibly because he is refusing to have chemo?), and he wasn't sure if the pain management doctor would be comfortable prescribing him the amount of medications he is probably going to require because he has such a high tolerance to them already. He did say next time he goes into the hospital with unrelieved pain to have them call him and he will manage his hospital pain medications. Our stupid hospital here (the only 1 we have) has started using hospitalists when you are admitted, so you don't even see your own doctor, and I hate that.

The PM doc said if or when he gets in remission, and wants to come back that would be no problem, so yelp, one less doctor's appt is always a plus when you have as many appts as we have already.

He goes for a biopsy on Friday. The doc said he wanted some tissue to ensure it was lung metastasis, and not a new cancer, and to ensure he gets started on the proper treatment sooner rather than later, and also to help have more leverage to fight the Pet scan denial from the insurance- I'm so ticked because of the insurance denial right now on that that I could scream, but from what I understand it isn't uncommon.

Yelp, fishing, camping and cuddling will most likely be happening soon, hopefully without 4 furry four legged feral kitties coming along. .

Thanks again hun, and best of luck in your treatment.
    10/24/18 10:30 AM The love of my life passed away Today, and Life will never be the same again. RIP MY LOVE. I LOVE YOU FOREVER,, and MISS YOU SOOO MUCH ALREADY.

10/16/18 Hubby was Diagnosed with Epitheloid Angiosarcoma High Grade, and was doing so badly that Hospice referral was made. .

2016 My Husband DX with Stage 1 NSCLC not documented. They used Stereotactic Body Therapy (SBRT) radiation x 5 treatments. 8/24/18 Now has suspected lung Ca metastasis with Large 4+cm masses noted on each adrenal gland and 1 enlarge lymph node in the lower right lobe of his lung where the original tumor is located, plus scattered glass appearance in that area as well, and 1 enlarged lymph node under his left armpit area.

Need suggestions for severe dry constipation Please.

Hello All,
    I will try to make this as short as possible, and I'm not even sure this is the correct place to post this-(If not feel free to move it or delete it), but I thought if anybody would have suggestions on this problem it would be you guys, and gals.

My hubby has had lung cancer since 2017 that we learned recently has most likely metastasized as he has several enlarged lymph nodes-in various areas, and 2 large masses approx. 4cm each- 1 on each adrenal gland. He has a biopsy on Fri.

He was in the hospital twice recently 1st time he was having severe unrelieved pain that started in the chest that then moved to the epigastric region of his stomach (his gallbladder has been removed)-the hospital is blaming the adrenal masses for the pain, the radiation oncologist says he doesn't think they are the cause of the pain as adrenal masses are generally painless masses? (At 1st their main concern was appendicitis, or ischemic bowel, but both those tests were negative).

He has had issues with his guts for about 4 years now, and generally vomits 1-2 times daily, but all tests have not revealed the cause of this. The 1st time in the hospital they gave him IV fluids for dehydration, and meds to relieve pain, the 2nd hospital-stay a day and a half after the 1st he was literally crashing on me as his vitals had dropped to 70/40, his pulse was 120, his temp 101, he was lethargic, weak, confused. He had pneumonia which by the wording in the test impression- (which stated appears to have worsening of pneumonia)actually made us realize he had pneumonia the 1st time, but they had not treated it. 2nd time for the pneumonia diagnoses they treated him with a lot of IV fluids, antibiotics, and magnesium because his magnesium level was low too this time. His pain was back down to where it usually is due to neck, back, body issues so his regular dosage of medications was controlling that pain. (He takes Norco, Morphine, and Baclofen for that)

Since he has been home he has been drinking a lot more water, still not nearly as much as he can get via IV infusion though, of course. He can't eat a lot of green leafy veggies because he is on 2 blood thinners and a baby aspirin for heart/stroke issues, so he can't have high doses of the Vit K that they contain. He takes stool softeners daily, I have also given him peri-colace, and Dulcolax tablets, but due to the daily vomiting, pain meds, etc. he is so dry in his colon that it is pulling all the water from his stool, so he's having a lot of problems getting his bowels to move. (Prior to the hospital stays he would bounce between diarrhea, and constipation-but the peri-Colace and Ducolax would generally do the job of allowing him to go, but that doesn't seem to be the case now).

Although he has not been diagnosed with colon cancer at this time, but that fear that it has metastasized there too is there for sure. His stools look normal in size and color except 1 at the hospital that did appear to be dark and tarry, but that sample was unable to be checked. I did a hemocult on the 1st stool he had after returning home, and it was negative for occult blood, no darky tarry appearance at all, nor has any of the others he's had since then. But he is also having an issue with his RBC's and his H&H slowly but consistently declining to the point that I, being a RN, insisted that they give him 2 units of blood before releasing him from the hospital the 2nd time to prevent him from crashing again during a holiday weekend. His hemoglobin had dropped from 13 down to 7.6, after the 2 units of blood his hemoglobin went to 10.4 which I felt was a much safer level for him to return home with, but they've been unable to find where he is losing the blood from.

My mom had colon cancer, and she had to use mineral oil in orange juice to be able to go regular, but the mineral oil causes a lot of gas which is something he doesn't need right now as the amount of gas he already has causes him to have a lot of cramping. The meds we have tried thus far are just not helping very well at all right now, he can go but with much difficulty and several doses of laxatives.

I'm looking for suggestions on what those of you have used to help for severe dry constipation that has helped retain the water in the stool because I think until we get that water to remain in his stool/colon that he's going to continue to have issues. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thank you, have a nice day, and best of luck on all your treatment!!
    10/24/18 10:30 AM The love of my life passed away Today, and Life will never be the same again. RIP MY LOVE. I LOVE YOU FOREVER,, and MISS YOU SOOO MUCH ALREADY.

10/16/18 Hubby was Diagnosed with Epitheloid Angiosarcoma High Grade, and was doing so badly that Hospice referral was made. .

2016 My Husband DX with Stage 1 NSCLC not documented. They used Stereotactic Body Therapy (SBRT) radiation x 5 treatments. 8/24/18 Now has suspected lung Ca metastasis with Large 4+cm masses noted on each adrenal gland and 1 enlarge lymph node in the lower right lobe of his lung where the original tumor is located, plus scattered glass appearance in that area as well, and 1 enlarged lymph node under his left armpit area.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello CrackerJack

I have moved your thread posted within the Colon Cancer Forum, here back to the LC forum as that is your husbands diagnosis. I also merged it with your other thread so not to confuse members.

Now, this is definitely something you need to address with his doctors. If they are not taking your seriously, then push them to address your concerns. With all the meds your husband is taken, his other health issues, only a doctor is equipped to rightfully make recommendations therefore, avoiding any conflicts amongst his prescribed drugs and even over the counter meds which can cause conflict with treatment.

On one note, his liquid intake, as you stated is ok but not what it should be so this is something that should be addressed.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa.

Yes his doctor has been called we are going to try either Mira lax, or Citrucel along with his stool softeners to see if that helps retain some more water in the colon. He's also switching his meds as we are hoping that we ourselves might have possibly pinpointed the vomiting culprit. We suspect it could be a med held at the hospital but given the day of release which we notified the doctor of as soon as we considered it a possibility of being the issue. He had no vomiting at the hospital but threw up in the car on the way home, so we asked the doctor last week about taking him off it a few days just to see if that stopped the vomiting, and it did, but because it is Janumet for his diabetes even with the insulin we had difficulty keeping his Blood sugar at an acceptable level without him taking it, so the doctor split the 2 meds in Janumet, and we started him on just Januvia alone without the metformin but again the vomiting started again, now he is going to take him off the Januvia for a few days to see if the vomiting again stops, and try just the 2nd med in the Janumet which is Metformin to see if the vomiting again starts. If so he'll have to try to figure out something else. He's an excellent doctor but unfortunately he's leaving the end of September due to issues with the new contract they offered him, but we are sure going to hate to lose him.

As far as the fluid intake he is drinking pretty much constantly while he's awake but with the vomiting it's of course difficult to maintain that fluid in his system for very long, so they may end up having to do some home IVs if we can't get him straightened out. I just feel so darn sorry for him, if it isn't one thing it's another preventing him from feeling even remotely decent. Thanks again for the info and have a nice day!!
    Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-12-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Hubby went for biopsy yesterday. He tolerated that well. The doc said we should have those results by Tues or Wed.

Update: Preliminary Biopsy results are in, and although we don't have the Final Results yet what they are suspecting is NOT good, not good at all. The doctor's exact words were "The findings of the biopsy are weird, and not at all what we were expecting." The Preliminary report and all the tests are pointing towards Sarcoma, not lung cancer metastasis. He has his next appt in a week and we should have the final report as to whether it is or isn't Sarcoma, and if it is which one it is. My hubby's condition continues to decline rapidly, on Saturday he had lost 10 pounds of weight within the past 2 weeks, and today it revealed he has lost another 5 pounds since Saturday.
    All this hurry up and wait is breaking my heart, and literally effecting us both mentally because he needs to be getting Immunotherapy started Now to at least give him the best chance of trying to turn this around, and they can't get a definitive diagnoses of What it is, so the doctor can even determine which meds to use, and so the insurance will pay for it.

I have cried 100's of times over the past month, (never in front of him though), and today when I was talking to my hubby and told him that I wish they would hurry up and figure this out so he can start treatment because whatever it is , it is progressing waaay too fast. He said, "I know it is, my body can feel how fast it is progressing, and they Really do need to hurry up if they are going to do treatment because I don't think I'm going to be around much longer to get it." Well, that was it, I lost it and broke down crying for the 1st time in front of him since we found out about the suspected metastasis on 9/24/18- he was now saying what I have been seeing so that statement right there made all this way too real, and frightening.

I can see the decline in him occurring so quickly, he is getting so frail and weak, feeling so bad all the time, has little to no appetite, is losing weight like crazy, still vomiting daily or close to it, his pain is increasing and is occurring in different areas of his body now-The doctor increased his pain medication today and ordered Marinol to try to increase his appetite and decrease the nausea, vomiting, and weight loss, so I'm really hoping they help because he needs all the help he can get.

Something I've not said to anyone but have thought it is at the rate he's declining, especially over these past couple of weeks, I'm terrified that he isn't going to make it to Halloween this year, especially if they don't get treatment started. He's so bad right now, and getting worse by the day, and I don't know how to stop it, how to keep him from hurting, or how to help to make him well again, and that is some of the hardest part of all of this on me, well that, and trying to imagine my life for even 1 day without him being in it which I pray doesn't happen.

Well, I think I'm done talking for now, I can't see for all the tears anyway. Thanks for taking the time to read it, and I hope you all have a good night!!
    Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-26-2018 at 04:35 AM.

Oh Hun!
    I don't know what to say right now, but want you to know i will be thinking of you both and praying for you!!!
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    August 18, all still same, living life every day
    Fingers crossed

Thank you Pet. It's been a very rough day to say the least. After getting home I spent the rest of the day on the phone with his immediate family breaking the news to them before doing a post to the rest of his family and friends on Facebook both of which was very tough too. I've also been researching info on sarcoma because I know very little about it. I'm sure I'll be able to get a better understanding about it, the treatments, etc., once we find out for sure the actual diagnoses.

They've had the biopsy tissue for 11 days now, and they are still working on it, so it must be something very rare in it for it to be taking them that long. The Oncologist-(who is a wonderful man) has been in contact with them every day trying to get a final diagnoses so he can let us know, and get the treatment started because he too knows that time is of the essence when it comes to any type of cancer, especially when malignancy or metastasis is involved. I appreciate the fact that they have been working so hard to be able to give us the correct diagnoses, but I sure wish for his sake that they'd work a lot faster because the clock is ticking here.

All we can do right now is keep him as comfortable as possible, treat issues with labs and any other issues as they arise, while trying to let all this sink in. So we'll be taking one day at a time trying to see where we can go from here, and I'll be praying that we both are able to walk out together on the other side of this horrible journey.

Thank you so much for your prayers. I'll be praying for you as well hun, and please keep me posted on how you are doing.
    Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-26-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Returned to the Oncologist yesterday 10/2/18 and the Final Report is Still not completed plus now they need more tissue as they've used up the 4 small needle sections doing so much testing. Hubby's weight has dropped from 204 on 8/24/18 down to 183.8 at his appt.

This time instead of a biopsy they want an entire lymph node so they can visualize it, plus ensure they have enough tissue this time around. We go to the surgeon tomorrow to get that scheduled. Since hubby is on baby aspirin and 2 other blood thinners he'll have to be off those for 5 days prior to surgery so it will most likely be scheduled next week sometime if he is able to hang on that long. The appt revealed that he had lost yet another 5 pounds since last week's visit. I'm really praying they get what they need this time, figure this out already, so he can start immunotherapy because he is declining so quickly... way too quickly.
    Last edited by Crackerjack; 10-04-2018 at 04:06 PM.