A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Newbie

Newbie New User

Hi. Diagnosed with anal cancer 8/28/18. Chemo and radiation therapy is being scheduled. Attempted chest port on 9/7/18. Problem with getting it to work properly, so not successful. Experienced atelectasis after surgery for chest port. Scheduled for port in arm 9/17/18. Wanting to research what is to be expected with therapy and meds that work when dealing with side effects along with any tips and information you may have. Thanks in advance.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, as well as the issue with your chest port. That's not the most encouraging way to begin your treatments, but we cancer patients are fighters--don't let the initial difficulty get you down.

While I don't have experience with colorectal cancer, there are others who can likely share their experiences with you. Do you know anything about the stage or your specific treatment/chemo?
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abumdeal View Post
    Hi. Diagnosed with anal cancer 8/28/18. Chemo and radiation therapy is being scheduled. Attempted chest port on 9/7/18. Problem with getting it to work properly, so not successful. Experienced atelectasis after surgery for chest port. Scheduled for port in arm 9/17/18. Wanting to research what is to be expected with therapy and meds that work when dealing with side effects along with any tips and information you may have. Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the forum and sorry that you find the need to be here.

As has been said, you have already had a bad start to your treatment. The best source initially for answers to your questions is always your own medical team because they know your case, medical history, age, general state of health etc which all have a bearing on matters.

Are you at home or are you in hospital? Any background might help for anyone here to help with their experiences for you. Have you been given a treatment plan beyond chemo and radiation? Also, a little bit of information about where you are in the world might help in case anyone is familiar with the medical process in that country.

regards, Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by abumdeal View Post
    Sorry you're having troubles with the port. I didn't get one so we had lots of fun with my veins rolling away from needles. But it was all OK. You're in for a bit of a rough time but if you're in decent shape physically it probably won't be as bad as you imagine. There's a routine to treatment that can be oddly comforting. Your doctors should give you any and all remedies for symptoms, including pain meds and something for nausea, etc. Zofran is pretty amazing at pushing nausea away, just one little suggestion there. Otherwise the cancer experience is pretty unique for everyone. I'm six months out from the disease and I'm still "raw and scared" as I said in my first post here, but I have been reminded to stay positive and appreciate every day for what it is: a gift. Your attitude will make your symptoms easier or harder, it's up to you.