A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Heartburn Medicine Linked to Gastric or Stomach Cancer

Heartburn Medicine Linked to Gastric or Stomach Cancer

Hello, good people. My name is, Samuel. Normally, I am a part of the prostate cancer part of these forums. Earlier tonight, I ran across this article below, and I was wondering if any of you know if there's any truth to this. You see I suffer from GERD. The way I treat the symptoms is to take one 20mg of Prilosec per day, either just before, or after I eat. The longest I can go without taking any pills is three days. If I were to go any longer, I would throw up stomach acid and my esophagus would begin to narrow which makes it hard to swallow.

This article concerns me because I've been treating this condition under a doctors care for a bit over ten years. This December, I will be 45 years old. What alternative would I have if this were true. The last time I went a long time without treating my symptoms, I had to schedule an endoscopy. My gastro said I had an esophageal stricture. What am I to do?

https://www.douglasandlondon.com/blo...544&key1=m3544

Experienced User
    The best thing you can do is talk to your gastro. As you're no doubt aware, the article you linked is written by a law firm looking for customers. Your gastro can give you information on the actual research and what it may mean for you specifically. I'm familiar with the research (I take PPIs so I had a lot of questions about this myself), and what that article doesn't tell you is that even the increased risk is still a very low risk.

As you're already aware, untreated GERD can lead to serious problems. H2 blockers are an alternative to PPIs for some people, but whether they're appropriate for you is something which should be decided by your gastro.

Your absolute best course of action is to talk to your gastro about your concerns and about the plan for managing your GERD into the future.

I completely agree with Sparkle's advice. If you did a search on just about ANY popular medicine, you would find some law firm looking for potential customers, based on some questionable study. Talk to the doctor who prescribed your treatment, and ask about the validity of the claim. Only then should you you both agree that switching to a new medication is right for you.

By the way, a lot of GERD can be attributed to diet and how and when you eat. Have you tried modifying the foods you eat, or when you eat them? Lying down too soon after a meal can also trigger GERD, so you should probably avoid eating within several hours of bedtime, for example.

Best wishes to you.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED