A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cancer Diet

Unhealthy diet and habits can cause cancer. Smoking for lung cancer, alcohol for esophageal and intestinal cancer. If bad diet and habits can cause cancer, a healthy lifestyle can help defeating it. It's not fully understood why some go into remission on chemo and others don't. I wouldn't want to rule out diet may be making the difference for some.

From own experience dietary changes can have a huge impact on wellbeing. I learned about my EoE in my late thirties and dairy products turned out a main culprit causing the inflammation in my esophagus. Constant inflammation in turn is a known risk factor for cancer.

For hormones, testosterone is boosting prostate cancer, and growth hormones from food, such as dairy products, may accelerate growth of other cancers.

Metastases can be located in PET scans because of their higher glucose consumption, so to me it sounds plausible that a high sugar intake may not be the wisest choice when battling cancer.

Anyone any good book recommendations on cancer diets, then? Thanks!
    --------------
    DOB 1965
    PM me for PSA graphing service & detailed story
    PSA 6.8 11/17
    PSA 7.5 04/18
    MRI 05/18 inconclusive, PI-RADS3?
    PSA 11.8 01/19
    PSA 10.1 02/19
    12 core random biopsy 02/19 (4+3)=7 suspicion of vascular invasion, grade 4 cribriform pattern, no PTEN loss
    Bone scan negative 04/19
    PSA 13.3 04/01/19 pre-surgery significant urinal symptoms and some ED
    RRP 04/04/19
    pT2c pN0 (0 of 7 lymph nodes positive) pL0 pV0 R0(local) Pn1
    Perineural growth predominantly on right hand side, tumour diameter 15mm 90% G4 10% G3
    Prostatic parenchyma with glandular hyperplasia and chronic granular, partly purulent inflammation.
    PSA 0.14 04/30/19
    PSA 0.02 05/13/19
    PSA 0.008 06/04/19

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    I would take note of post #10. While living a healthy lifestyle is beneficial undoubtedly to ones well being, cancer does not discriminate. There are many contributors that can heighten ones risk of developing cancer but again, not all will get cancer even if they are engaged in high risk practices.

My own Mother died of Lung Cancer. Did smoking cause her csncer? Answer, No, she didn't smoke.

I have been a caregiver to my Mom and then again to my Father in Law. Through it all, conventional treatment, it was essential that eating anything and everything even though challenging, was essential. Again, post #10 is in my opinion and on point.

Lisa

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Clearly, much more study needs to be done. I knew an 80+ year old man who was living in an "old folk's home" in the late 1960s. Smoking a pipe and had done so since he was 12, he said. No cancer.

Do you feel lucky?
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gothicxtoy View Post
    The reality is, food science is mostly crap. Why? The short reason is that it's very difficult to replicate studies, scientists often cherry pick the data from their experiments, and it's very difficult to get a "control" group, since people have so many different diets in the real world (aka it's virtually impossible for scientists to keep their subjects on a "strict diet").
    Agreed, too many false prophets, too much misinformation, too little emphasis on nutrition at medical school, and too much convenience on consumer side. Also, very hard to perform studies on effects of certain diets. For instance, it was a steep learning curve for me when I got off dairy some 15 years ago. A professor at a medical high school had finally diagnosed me with EoE, when before all I heard was crap like "chew better" when food kept getting stuck in my inflamed oesophagus. A skin prick test revealed cow's milk protein and barley as culprits. I was however told to take oral cortisol steroids until the day I die instead of changing my diet. And didn't comply. I changed butter for vegetable margarine. No more pizza, cheese, milk, yoghurt and so on. Learned to cook. Asian food for lunch. It took me weeks to find out vegetable margarine has milk powder added to make it taste like butter and that one needs to buy VEGAN MARGARINE for it to be vegetable. Most potato fries and many brands of chips contain milk. "Natural" beef flavours made of dairy derivatives. Took me years to realize natrium caseinate found in some coconut cream powders is actually the worst of dairy. Whey is duh. And so on. Without a keen eye it's virtually impossible to completely get off dairy, which will affect any study on that issue.

But: once I really and fully eliminated dairy from my diet, the difference was AMAZING! Not just did my oesophagus improve, my constant belly cramps were also gone, colds and flues were no longer followed by 14 days of snot, head aches gone, I was generally feeling WAY better. And I can only encourage anyone to check for possible food intolerances or allergies.

Stunning ignorance in some medical facilities. Lately I was offered lactose free cheese despite clearly communicating my dairy protein allergy in a hospital. Staff corrected me that I must have meant lactose when I said no dairy... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by gothicxtoy View Post
    "cancer feeds on sugar" is a myth in the sense that literally every cell in your body uses sugar (aka "glucose") as its source of energy. There's sugar/glucose in literally everything we eat, unless the packaging explicitly states "no sugar" (and you check the nutritional label to see if there's any grams of sugar).
    The monster hydra is also a myth, but with a very true core when it comes to cancer. Chop off one head and two regrow, or radio-execute a metastasis to find two new ones somewhere else. A lot of refined sugar is clearly unhealthy and cancer cells differ from regular cells, probably also in their reaction on refined sugar overloads.
    --------------
    DOB 1965
    PM me for PSA graphing service & detailed story
    PSA 6.8 11/17
    PSA 7.5 04/18
    MRI 05/18 inconclusive, PI-RADS3?
    PSA 11.8 01/19
    PSA 10.1 02/19
    12 core random biopsy 02/19 (4+3)=7 suspicion of vascular invasion, grade 4 cribriform pattern, no PTEN loss
    Bone scan negative 04/19
    PSA 13.3 04/01/19 pre-surgery significant urinal symptoms and some ED
    RRP 04/04/19
    pT2c pN0 (0 of 7 lymph nodes positive) pL0 pV0 R0(local) Pn1
    Perineural growth predominantly on right hand side, tumour diameter 15mm 90% G4 10% G3
    Prostatic parenchyma with glandular hyperplasia and chronic granular, partly purulent inflammation.
    PSA 0.14 04/30/19
    PSA 0.02 05/13/19
    PSA 0.008 06/04/19

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lactose free cheese ....really ???

If you are lactose intolerant just stay away from cheese...easy to do. Gee people are funny. That is like alcohol free liquor...just silly.

My mum used to make us sugar bread...white bread, margarine (not butter) and sugar...yummy The healthy option would have been brown sugar on brown bread My mum was brought up in the great depression and old habits die hard.

I am so blessed to be able to enjoy dairy products with no ill effects what so ever. For me life without cheese is unthinkable but that is my Dutch heritage coming through. I suppose you don't really miss something if it makes you sick when you eat it.

Cheers
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.