A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Grade Fever For 3 weeks.

Newbie New User

Low Grade Fever For 3 weeks.

Hi,

Iím a 24 year old male. I have been feeling sick for the past 3 weeks. I have been taking my temperature and it has been between 98.9-99.7. My face literally feels like itís burning. It has gone as high as 100.3 once. Additionally I have had night sweats where Iím completely drenched a few times during the 3 week period but not everyday. I went to 3 different doctors. Now Iím awaiting some blood culture test results. My CBC and WBC came back normal. My LDH level was also within normal range but slightly elevated. I had a chest X-RAY completely normal. My monocyte count was also elevated. I tested positive for Mono which I had 4 years ago. I donít think thatís the case. Upon physical examination the last doctor could find no visible enlarged lymph nodes anywhere. Iím concerned it may be Lymphoma. Lymphoma took away one of my siblings 3 1/2 years ago. So I am afraid. It runs in my family on my fathers side.

Moderator Top User
    Hi, I have moved your post as at this stage you do not have a cancer diagnosis

https://www.cancerforums.net/threads...t-it-read-this!!

I understand your anxiety due to your sibling losing their battle with the disease, sad as that is it does not mean you will suffer with it to, don't let anxiety take over the process, try to control it and continue to work with your doctor to see why you are having high temperatures. For information the only way to diagnose lymphoma is for a biopsy to be taken and the path lab results confirm it is, blood tests, ultrasound and X-rays cannot. You also say lymphoma runs in the family - the is no scientific proof that its hereditary or that any specific environmental conditions trigger the cell mutations, so your risk is no greater than anyone else. If you should get a diagnosis that says you have lymphoma then we are here to help with advice and support and I very much hope that does not happen, perhaps if you keep a daily diary it may help when you consult with your doctor. Is the a reason you have seen 3 that seems a little odd.
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.

I am very sorry about your sibling. A loss like that runs deep I understand having lost my only sibling myself at age 40. However I believe you are worrying too much here, in my non medical opinion. You have had no less than 3 medical professionals advise you that they are no objective findings to support an illness let alone cancer. Likely there are many more non cancerous reasons and/or factors that are coming into play here. Some may be completely non medical too. Just so you know, the Mayo Clinic says, " A fever is a rise in body temperature. It's usually a sign of infection. The fever itself is generally harmless and probably helpful. Fevers usually don't need treatment. The average body temperature is 98.6 F (37 C). But normal body temperature can range between 97 (36.1) and 99 (37.2) or more. Your body temperature can vary depending on how active you are or the time of day. " Wait for your blood test rest result and rejoice in the good news of negative results!
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

Newbie New User
    Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Iím just really afraid. Iíve never had a low grade fever for this long. Itís scary. I donít know what else to think about my symptoms. I will follow up to get to the bottom of what Iím feeling. Is it possible to have lymphoma without any visible lymph nodes ?

Moderator Top User
    Sorry for the loss of your sibling - that's certain to color your view on future illness, understandably. As others have noted, there is no strong hereditary correlation regarding lymphoma in the family, so you can hopefully ease your mind there.

Regarding your last question - can you have lymphoma without visible nodes. The answer is yes - but with qualifications. In order to be suffering from night sweats and a continuous low grade fever, the disease would be advanced to the stage where you would very likely see enlarged nodes - either palpable from the surface or on scans. The vast majority of lymphoma is diagnosed in an advanced stage, simply because it doesn't make itself known at Stage 1 for most people. So - having symptoms but not having swollen nodes is an indicator that what you are suffering is not likely to be lymphoma.

I do hope you get to the bottom of this diagnosis soon, so you can have some relief from anxiety, even if the cause isn't immediately treatable.
    DX - 5/2010 Grade 1, Stage 4 fNHL - w/spleen and 47% bone marrow involvement
    TX - 6/2010-12/2010: SWOG S0801- R-CHOP + Bexxar + Rituxan (4 yrs/quarterly)
    Restaged (post Bexxar) - PCR-Neg/NED :2/2011
    Rituxan maintenance ended 3/2015
    1/2018: Remission continues (>7 years) Down to one checkup/year!

Newbie New User
    Hi,

I know Iím not supposed to ask too many questions but Iím still concerned and afraid. I had a CT scan done last night of my abdomen and pelvis and nothing abnormal showed up. No enlarged lymph nodes or any masses. The doctor doesnít think I have lymphoma but wants me to follow up with my primary care. My primary care physician wants to do one more CT of my chest and more blood work. She said if she finds something abnormal then she will refer me to a Oncologist or Hematologist. If nothing abnormal shows then do I just wait?? What If I wait and itís too late ??

Someone mentioned that you can still have lymphoma with no enlarged lymph nodes. Can a doctor biopsy a regular sized lymph node??

Moderator Top User
    Hi everyone is telling you not to worry and from what you are sharing it does not sound like lymphoma and now you have had a clear scan then that means the is no lymphoma. Your doctor is being ultra cautious by getting the remaining part of your body scanned just to be sure. If that scan comes back clear then you do not have lymphoma and it may be your anxiety or worry is responsible for some of your symptoms.

No doctor will biopsy a normal node when the is no reason, so you do need to accept you don't have lymphoma and the chances of this last scan showing lymphoma is very rare.

We cannot help you with your fear and you may also have to accept the are no answers as to why you have had the issues you have and as for "do I just wait" wait for what, you need to get back to living life and learning to cope with what has gone before and not allow it dominate your life, yes it hards but as many of us know life goes on and you hopefully still have a long life ahead of you.

seek help yes but not from cancer sites when you don't have cancer, good luck

John
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.

Moderator Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    <snip>
    No doctor will biopsy a normal node when the is no reason, so you do need to accept you don't have lymphoma and the chances of this last scan showing lymphoma is very rare.
    <...>

John
    Not only will no doctor biopsy a normal node, but even if you found one, no insurance company will pay for the procedure.

I think you misread my comment above. Yes, it is possible to have the initial beginnings of lymphoma, without palpable or visible nodes. After all, the disease starts in an otherwise healthy body, and the nodes grow from normal to abnormal size. It has to start somewhere! However, by the time you start showing symptoms such as night sweats, weight loss, or odd fevers, nodes WILL be visible, and most certainly on a CT scan.

All the evidence is that you don't have lymphoma. It's probably worth it to follow up with the prescribed scan, but remember that radiation from scans isn't particularly good for you either, particularly when young. Pursuing a diagnosis may be worthwhile to give you peace of mind, but if your symptoms aren't that bad and the doctor says they aren't that concerning, then it's equally worthwhile to to see if the condition resolves itself (many do) or gets worse to the point where it CAN be diagnosed.
    DX - 5/2010 Grade 1, Stage 4 fNHL - w/spleen and 47% bone marrow involvement
    TX - 6/2010-12/2010: SWOG S0801- R-CHOP + Bexxar + Rituxan (4 yrs/quarterly)
    Restaged (post Bexxar) - PCR-Neg/NED :2/2011
    Rituxan maintenance ended 3/2015
    1/2018: Remission continues (>7 years) Down to one checkup/year!

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Rhetorical questions to ponder: What did you fear before lymphoma? Think back. Was it colon cancer due to a bowel that was acting up? A mole which you suspected might be melanoma? A persistent cough causing worries about lung cancer? Your posts reveal that you are responding to fear, which is often caused by anxiety.

Keep in mind that anxiety (epidemic in our age) can produce over 100 symptoms - with no disease being present other than anxiety!

Look into it.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. Iím feeling a little better besides my temperature always being at 99.0 and above. I was able to finish a full meal yesterday and wife thinks my mood is going back to normal. Tomorrow I have a CT scan of my chest and more blood work. My doctor said based on those results she will decide if she wants to refer me to hematology and Oncology. Should I be worried though that she has alerted the oncology and hematology departments to look over my results and keep an eye on me or is that protocol because I expressed my concerns about lymphoma?
    Most doctors dismiss concerns but this doctor is ready to write a referral pending a few results. Maybe she is concerned Or suspects something. Iím trying to live my life but itís hard when your constantly feeling hot and tired and aching. Itís tough. I really hope itís not cancer. My fear is that if I do get cancer I might not make it because my brother had 4th stage and didnít live past 8 months after he was diagnosed. Since we have the same genetics treatments may not work like in his case. His was very aggressive with B symptoms.