A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello, new here, just diagnosed with lymphoma

Moderator Top User
    Glad your preliminary stuff is done and you have a few moments to relax! The port is more psychological than physical, I think. Did they give you some lidocaine ointment for the port? The idea is to smear a dab of the creme onto the port before you head in for your infusion (about an hour in advance). By they time they stick you with the needle, you won't even feel it. It's not that big of a deal if you forget, but it's a totally painless event if you numb things up first. I would smear the lidocaine on and then just cover it with a little square of plastic sandwich wrap to keep it off my clothing as I was driving in.
    DX - 5/2010 Grade 1, Stage 4 fNHL - w/spleen and 47% bone marrow involvement
    TX - 6/2010-12/2010: SWOG S0801- R-CHOP + Bexxar + Rituxan (4 yrs/quarterly)
    Restaged (post Bexxar) - PCR-Neg/NED :2/2011
    Rituxan maintenance ended 3/2015
    1/2018: Remission continues (>7 years) Down to one checkup/year!

Newbie New User
    Hey Folks,
    I still have a few tests to do before treatment begins. I have an electro-cardiogram, full body bone scan, a PET scan(I think), and a full body CT scan. It looks like these will be done next week. After that, treatment is to begin.

I was wondering two things. First, is there anything I should do to prepare for treatment. Should I get extra help lined up for us? Should I get something lined up to help with household chores? How badly affected will I likely be? Will I be able to continue to help do things around here?

Second, and most importantly, what other things can I do to try and get the best outcome from the upcoming treatments? Some thoughts that come to mind are changes in diet, exercise, some holistic stuff like yoga or acupuncture? Does anyone have some reputable sources or links that I can do some reading up on these things?

Once again,
    thank you for all for the support and feedback so far.
    Mark
    10/18 - initial diagnosis lymphoma under left jaw

Moderator Top User
    About the biggest physical effect you're likely to see is just progressively more severe tiredness. I continued to work full-time (from home) during my treatment. At the start I would get through most of a day, take a short nap in the afternoon, then finish the day out. As treatment continued, the naps got longer. It seems like the tiredness strikes a lot harder than "normal" sleepiness. When I had to take a nap during treatment, it was "head to the couch before you fall down..."

You will likely notice some change in your appetite and taste perception. Foods that you really enjoy now may taste awful while in treatment - many folks avoid their favorite foods to prevent the development of distaste for them after treatment. Foods you didn't care for before may become preferred. For some, spicy foods really give them fits, but I actually liked spicy Thai and Chinese during treatment (still do, too....) You may also find that your stomach prefers to eat more frequent, smaller meals.

Lay in a supply of laxatives! Your nurse (or folks here) can give you suggestions. I never had issues ever with nausea, but after the first couple of bouts with constipation, I learned to stay on top of hydration and medication for that - you have no idea of how awful you will feel if you plug up.

Try to get exercise during treatment. I stayed quite active. Went on multiple hikes, did fairly strenuous yard work, built a treehouse - all during treatment. Even if you don't feel like it, a nice afternoon walk through the neighborhood will do you worlds of good.

As far as the yoga, acupuncture and all that - if you enjoy doing yoga now, keep doing it! Just my opinion, but I'm not sure I'd try to start OTHER major lifestyle changes during treatment - just focus on eating healthy and getting through treatment; that will be enough of a project for you.
    DX - 5/2010 Grade 1, Stage 4 fNHL - w/spleen and 47% bone marrow involvement
    TX - 6/2010-12/2010: SWOG S0801- R-CHOP + Bexxar + Rituxan (4 yrs/quarterly)
    Restaged (post Bexxar) - PCR-Neg/NED :2/2011
    Rituxan maintenance ended 3/2015
    1/2018: Remission continues (>7 years) Down to one checkup/year!

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Yes, laxatives. There is also another way to help with regularity: sugar-free drinks. Anything that contains a sugar alcohol (i.e. sorbitol, mannitol, erythritol, etc.) as the sweetener. Sugar alcohols cause a concentration of water in the colon and help keep things moving.