A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Squamous stage 3a - what should I expect?

Newbie New User

Squamous stage 3a - what should I expect?

Just read your post. I was just diagnosed with squamous stage 3a wrapped around my pulmonary artery. Iím 68 yrs old. Iíll state chemo and radiation next week. Iím very tired already and have chest pain. I have no idea what to expect. Itís the not knowing thatís scary.

I am glad you found this forum Balt. You are right, the not knowing is very scary. My husband was stage 3b squamous non small cell. His tumor was too close to his heart to ever have surgery even when the tumor shrank. He had chemo and radiation at the same time. These treatments made him tired so watch out for more of that. The radiation burned his esophagus and it was very painful to eat. Please do not be stubborn like him and make sure you tell your doctors know how you are doing throughout your treatment and be honest about it and do not pretend all is fine and dandy. Often then it is is very hard to get the pain under control by then. As for nausea and other symptoms the meds that are prescribed these days along with treatment to a wonderful job for most people at keep all those symptoms at bay. But ot everyone has a smooth ride. Again just be upfront with your doctors about how things are going for you as they are there to help you through this.
    Some things that might help you going through treatment:
    - take a blanket or extra sweater as some get cold during the treatment
    - take a book or things to do as some treatments can run a few hours or take a nap and keep rest rested
    - drink lots and LOTS of water. This is really key. This helps move the chemo through your body and then out again.
    - make you you have someone to drive you. Everyone reacts differently to treatment. My husband acted like he was drunk after chemo - kinda annoying actually lol. But seriously he would not have been safe to drive so he always needed a driver.
    - remind radiation is accumulative. This means you will continue to "cook" even after the treatments stops. This varies from person to person but 2 to 4 even 6 weeks is the general range. So expect the symptoms to also accumulate still after treatment such as tiredness, loss of appetite and hair to continue.
    - make sure you run any changes to your diet including any over the counter meds, supplements etc past your doctors first before doing the change. Even the slightest change can be counteractive to your treatment making less effective according to some doctors so best to check in with your doctors first.
    - Try to keep your appetite up as it may dwindle later on and you need the calories for energy.
    - this is not time to be shy to ask for help - if you have family and friends willing to help, accept it. save your strength as you may need it.
    This are only a few tips and some things to expect. I know other members will chime in here. You have a great group here who will always be there to support you. Please ask away and we will all do our best to answer your questions.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Senior User
    Hi. Everything Jodie says rings true. Hopefully, it will be a little less scary for you knowing there is a place where there are people to turn to who have or are experiencing what you are going through. In my 2 years on this site, so many times I have said "I'm scared of this test or this treatment" and someone has always reassured me. I have had radiation last year and am currently going through immunology (treatment like chemo). My best advice is probably to make an effort, hard as it will be, to take care of yourself physically and mentally. You will probably be so tired so let people help you also.
    Will be thinking of you.
    Linda
    1/17 Chest Xray. Mass found LUL and nodule in RUL
    2/17 PET scan, no evidence of cancer anywhere else.
    3/2/17 LUL lung biopsy
    3/7/17 DX NSCLC LUL
    3/7/17 LUL lung collapsed, hospitalized 5 weeks due to lung not staying inflated and lung infection.
    6/17 PET scan. No evidence of cancer in other parts of body. RUL nodule was never dx as lung cancer.
    7/17 Radiation started on LUL and RUL. 5 high dose radiation treatments every other day.
    10/17 CT scan . LUL tumor has shrank as has RUL nodule. All good!
    2/18 CT scan LUL tumor and RUL nodule continue to shrink. New small spot on left lung. Oncologist recomends wait 3 months and get PET/CT.
    6/14/18 PET. 3 new "spots" show up, 2 LUL, 1 URL. No evidence of cancer in other parts of body.I
    7/17 Lung biopsy. Cancer found LUL
    8/17 PET and brain MRI. Cancer nowhere else.
    9/5 Opdivo and Ipilimumab started.
    1/10/2019 PET scan reveals tumors in both lungs resolved, will continue on immunotherapy.