A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Fired

Fired

I had my 3 yr post transplant check up at the Huntsman Cancer Institute on Monday. Blood work all fine, save for a slightly elevated Creatinine level, which is just part of my post transplant life, I think. Otherwise, nothing to report. I feel fine, other than the usual aches and pains of a geriatric athletic wannabe. No symptoms of anything. So, my new transplant doc said I should go forth and prosper......call if I need them.....but otherwise, I've become boring as a patient, and they had more urgent and needful folks to attend to. So I was sorta fired.

I don't use or personally approve of the term "cure"....I shall live however long I live looking over my shoulder, and I shall always be a "cancer guy", in treatment or not. And whatever my personal medical/health status is, I will always consider myself a member of this family....you all, together with our friends who have departed us....are my people....and you have my eternal gratitude for all your encouragement, support, hugs, and cheers. This place was my refuge during a lot of dark, difficult times.

Anyway, wanted to share my news with my people. I will still check in from time to time, and occasionally report on what I am up to. In the meantime, just know I remain a constant, relentless, passionate cheerleader for each and every one of you.....I may have a provisional, probably temporary reprieve here, but in any event, I consider you all family, and you all, each and every one, have my love and appreciation. Hugs to all

David
    66 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1 (ALK-)
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. All fine, save a bit of arthritis.
    11/14/14: 24 month post transplant check-up--still NED.
    5/15/15: No NED this time. Relapse confirmed/ started every 3 week brentuximab
    Allo transplant in Feb 2016.
    100 day post transplant scans in June 2016 fine.
    2 yr. post SCT check up: all fine, no issues.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Congrats! Can't remember, but if you've been deported, it is official.

Some of us graduate and some of us must repeat classes, groundhog day style

David, congratulations! I would love to get fired from this "job" someday though it doesn't seem terribly likely at this point. I think I wanna be you when I grow up, congratulations again, my friend, congratulations again. As your doc said (or was it Yoda?), "go forth and prosper, that is the order of the day.

May your good health last you all the days of your life,

kermica