A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Accuracy of CT Scan of the Pancreas

Newbie New User

Accuracy of CT Scan of the Pancreas

Hi,

I'm interested to know if anyone knows how accurate a CT Scan is to detect pancreatic cancer? The doctor requested a ct scan with pancreatic protocol, I don't know exactly what that means, all it says on the radiologists report is 'multiple phase ct pancreas including non-contrast, post contrast during portal venous, arterial and delayed phases'. The scan came back clear.

I would like to know how certain the above is in ruling out pancreatic cancer.

A bit of background....

I am a 41 year old male. I consider myself to be fairly healthy, I like to eat relatively healthy, enjoy exercise and rarely drink alcohol. I am 180cm tall and weigh around 74kgs.

About 4 months ago I started to experience a vague pain that moved around my lower abdomen, this pain is now predominately in my lower right abdomen (to the right of the belly button) and sometimes in my right hand side. It is not constantly there, it comes and goes. About two months ago I developed a dull pain/ache deep in my upper back, in between my shoulder blades, a little to the right, again this is not there constantly, it comes and goes. I have had muscle pain in my back before from over exerting myself in sport or lifting a heavy object, this is different to that type of pain, no as intense.

During the past 4 months, I have had various other symptoms....

Episodes of light headiness and dizziness.

A racing heart/heart palpitations.

An indigestion type feeling the indigestion feeling isn't a heartburn type feel, but more of a feeling that something is stuck in my throat that is ready to come up back up (but doesn't), I have been getting a mild feeling of nausea with this as well. I went through a period of a few weeks where I was belching excessively immediately after eating (this had now subsided, though has come back more mildly on a few occasions)

Periods of fatigue. I am normally an active 'get up and go' kind of guy, though I started to feel very lethargic and unmotivated.

Instances of getting a bad chemical taste in my mouth, I also noticed that when drinking beer it tasted disgusting and not at all as it normally does.

My belly constantly pulses up and down, which is especially noticeable when sitting or lying down. I have been told this is completely normal though it's something I have never experienced before. I also know that I'm not overweight though I certainly have belly fat.

Changes to my normal bowel habits.

No one has been able to give a diagnosis of my symptoms. Anxiety and depression have both been suggested and I was firstly prescribed Amytriptylene for IBS, then Mirtazapine for anxiety. I do think that I have anxiety regarding these symptoms, though that has happened since the onset of the abdominal pain and when the pain first occurred I was very happy in my life.

I have had blood tests, a colonoscopy and endoscopy and nothing untoward has showed up. I appreciate that I have had a lot of testing, which has come back clear, though I also know that PC is not always picked up from CT scans and that sometimes it is missed or that alternative testing is required.

I'm not saying I'm convinced I have PC, though it certainly has been a worry for me. I would just like to know how confidently it could be ruled out.

Thank you

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    It is awfully hard for any cancer to hide from such a scan. Any cancer that was providing such wide-ranging and profound symptoms would have to be huge. No sign of any such thing was found. If a physiological cause cannnot be located, then a psychological cause may be at fault. I am quick to mention anxiety, inasmuch as the majority - if not all - of your symptoms are very easily anxiety-driven. 20% of people in our culture and society suffer from some form of anxiety. It is truly a major epidemic. As to the symptoms it can produce, have a read, and be certain to scroll all the way down the page: https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

Who first thought "Cancer"?

And who first suggested anxiety?
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The CT scan using a pancreas protocol is our finest test for pancreatic cancer. It could detect a tumor smaller than 5mm. It is likely a tumor that’s all would not be causing all the problems you are seeing. Often tumors are 2cm or larger before symptoms appear. Those would be easily detected by your scan.

You didn’t say how long after symptoms appeared that you had the CT scan, but if it were a tumor, it would have been increasing in size. That makes it even less likely to escape detection.

Many of your symptoms are not related to pancreatic cancer. Pain would not be in the upper back, and it doesn’t generally cause heart palpitations, light headedness or dizziness.

It’s not unheard of that a 41-year old could get pancreatic cancer, but it would be unusual. The median age of onset is about 70 years old.

You’ve had the gold standard scanning method for pancreatic cancer and there’s nothing better.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - IMRT+Xeloda
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-May 2019 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789
    Jun 2019- NCT03805919
    @pancanology

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    It is awfully hard for any cancer to hide from such a scan. Any cancer that was providing such wide-ranging and profound symptoms would have to be huge. No sign of any such thing was found. If a physiological cause cannnot be located, then a psychological cause may be at fault. I am quick to mention anxiety, inasmuch as the majority - if not all - of your symptoms are very easily anxiety-driven. 20% of people in our culture and society suffer from some form of anxiety. It is truly a major epidemic. As to the symptoms it can produce, have a read, and be certain to scroll all the way down the page: https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

Who first thought "Cancer"?

And who first suggested anxiety?
    Thank you for your reply. My rational side agrees with you, maybe it is irrational to get carried away looking up symptoms, but when it is ongoing for 4 months and no one can give a diagnosis or a reason for your symptoms, I guess it's human nature to go searching for answers yourself.

I accept my anxiety, who wouldn't have anxiety reading about such a scary prognosis. Though, my symptoms appeared before the anxiety set in, I have got the anxiety more under control now, though the symptoms are still there.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply, it has reminded me to be rational if the anxiety sets in again.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by ddessert View Post
    The CT scan using a pancreas protocol is our finest test for pancreatic cancer. It could detect a tumor smaller than 5mm. It is likely a tumor thatís all would not be causing all the problems you are seeing. Often tumors are 2cm or larger before symptoms appear. Those would be easily detected by your scan.

You didnít say how long after symptoms appeared that you had the CT scan, but if it were a tumor, it would have been increasing in size. That makes it even less likely to escape detection.

Many of your symptoms are not related to pancreatic cancer. Pain would not be in the upper back, and it doesnít generally cause heart palpitations, light headedness or dizziness.

Itís not unheard of that a 41-year old could get pancreatic cancer, but it would be unusual. The median age of onset is about 70 years old.

Youíve had the gold standard scanning method for pancreatic cancer and thereís nothing better.
    Thank you for your reply.

Please excuse my ignorance on this, but does 'multiple phase ct pancreas including non-contrast, post contrast during portal venous, arterial and delayed phases' mean I had a CT scan with pancreatic protocol?

It was around 2 1/2 months from the onset of the first symptoms to the ct scan of the pancreas. I did also have a general abdominal CT scan before the specific pancreas one, the only thing of note was mild divertucolosis and two sub centimetre cysts on the liver, my gp said that neither were of any concern.

Is that scan the 'gold standard' ? From my reading, I assumed that EUS was the most accurate imaging tool for diagnosis, is that not the case?

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That CT scan sounds like the pancreas protocol. Both the EUS and that CT scan are considered the gold standards. The EUS is much more invasive but also allows for a biopsy if they find something.

We like to look for one cause for our symptoms, but in the difficult cases, it’s quite likely that there may be multiple causes that make the diagnosis difficult. And as you say, the long period of testing heightens any anxiety and confounds the diagnosis even further.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - IMRT+Xeloda
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-May 2019 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789