A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Prostate Biopsy AND Cystoscopy

  1. #21
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    39
    I just got back from my cystoscopy and prostate ultrasound & biopsy. everything went smoothly. The most difficult part was during the cystoscopy when he was threading it up past the prostate and into the bladder. Thankfully, he did not find any bladder cancer. He did however, find evidence of blood clot that had congealed (I saw it on the screen after he pointed it out. He was not concerned about this and told me that it would resolve on its own.

    The biopsy was simply no problem at all. I did not experience pain at any time. There was just a little pressure here and there, for example when he fired the spring loaded needle to extract a core. He did 12 in all.

    Really, the whole thing was a piece of cake, and I would not hesitate to do either test again if needed. I hope this post serves to allay any concerns or fears folks might have about having any of these tests done.

    Cheers,

    Max

  2. #22
    Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,074
    Great to hear, Max! We were pretty sure it would go smoothly and we're all glad that it did.

    Now, let's hope for results that are just as smooth, with good news already with the bladder exam!
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    Local uro DRE revealed significant BPH, no lumps.
    PCa Dx Aug. 2011 age of 61.
    Biopsy DXd adenocarcinoma in 3/20 cores (one 5%, two 20%). T2C.
    Gleason 3+3=6. CT abdomen, bone scan negative.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    Surgeon was Dr. Matthew Tollefson, who I highly recommend.
    Final pathology shows tumor confined to prostate.
    5 lymph nodes, seminal vesicules, extraprostatic soft tissue all negative.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,
    doctor says this is insignificant.
    Prostate 98 grams, tumor 2 grams.
    Catheter out in 7 days. No incontinence, minor dripping for a few weeks.
    Seven annual post-op exams 2012 through 2018: PSA <0.1
    Semi-firm erections without "training wheels," usable erections with 100mg Sildenafil.
    NOTE: ED caused by BPH, not the surgery.

  3. #23
    Hi Maximus! Glad that all is now "behind" you! Great news on the cystoscopy findings!

    Re "Really, the whole thing was a piece of cake...." If so, are you immediately going back for 2nds?!?!?

    Best wishes for a pristine Biopsy Path Report!

    MF

  4. #24
    Experienced User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    64
    That's great, Maximus. Figured you'd find it a walk in the park. Or maybe a scoot. I found the most vexing part of the front end loader was all the water they injected in there. I felt I had to urinate badly but of course the way out was blocked. And as I'm lying there saying to myself "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon already...! it seemed (from my distressed perspective) as though the doc was just kinda doing a slow and leisurely tour of my bladder. I'd like to say that he was whistling quietly to himself but that wasn't so. Still, an enormous relief when it was over.

    Glad he didn't find anything beyond a little clot in there, and hoping for great results of the biopsy.
    8/2/18: PSA 1.2

    10/11/18: TRUS biopsy a month shy of 65.
    Gleason score 3+3=6.
    Stage T1c.
    Prostate volume 37.1cc.

    12/6/18: MRI found 15.5mm diameter mass in prostate; quote from report: "This is considered a PI-RADS category 5 lesion"

    1/4/19: UroNAV biopsy found tumor of approx. 10% in one of 6 core biopsies; Gleason 3+3=6; Grade group 1
    2/27/19: Dr. Epstein confirms Gleason 6 on UroNAV biopsy cores; 20%

    2009: Metastatic squamous cell carcinoma (head and neck), treated with modified radical neck dissection and 31 days IMRT; all clear since then. Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years later and is progressing.

  5. #25
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderCFH View Post
    Great to hear, Max! We were pretty sure it would go smoothly and we're all glad that it did.

    Now, let's hope for results that are just as smooth, with good news already with the bladder exam!
    Thanks, Highlander! Hoping for the best!

  6. #26
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    Hi Maximus! Glad that all is now "behind" you! Great news on the cystoscopy findings!

    Re "Really, the whole thing was a piece of cake...." If so, are you immediately going back for 2nds?!?!?

    Best wishes for a pristine Biopsy Path Report!

    MF
    Haha, I see what you did there! Yes, all is now "behind" me, literally and figuratively! Thanks for the well wishes!

  7. #27
    Regular User
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper Chuck View Post
    That's great, Maximus. Figured you'd find it a walk in the park. Or maybe a scoot. I found the most vexing part of the front end loader was all the water they injected in there. I felt I had to urinate badly but of course the way out was blocked. And as I'm lying there saying to myself "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon already...! it seemed (from my distressed perspective) as though the doc was just kinda doing a slow and leisurely tour of my bladder. I'd like to say that he was whistling quietly to himself but that wasn't so. Still, an enormous relief when it was over.

    Glad he didn't find anything beyond a little clot in there, and hoping for great results of the biopsy.
    Hi Chuck. Ya, I know what you mean about all the water they inject. My bladder was full, and some of it leaked out onto the table. I just couldn't hold it all in. They seemed completely unphased by this...which leads me to believe that it's happened before and they weren't surprised. Yes, hoping for the best when it comes to the biopsy results!

 

Similar Threads

  1. Ureteroscopy and Cystoscopy discomfort?
    By IronicallyVague in forum Prostate Cancer Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2017, 08:59 PM
  2. Discomfort symptoms after Ureteroscopy and Cystoscopy?
    By IronicallyVague in forum Kidney and Bladder Cancer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2017, 01:46 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 12:59 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
  5. Urethral Pain After Cystoscopy And Cathing
    By Fred44 in forum Prostate Cancer Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •