A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Confused!!!

Newbie New User

Confused!!!

A few days ago I started having pain and clear discharge from one breast. I honestly just assumed it was some kind of weird infection or hormonal thing. I'm 32, not on birth control, no chance of becoming pregnant. After a couple of days I went to urgent care and was surprised that they were extremely concerned about the possibility of cancer. They sent me to an imaginary center for a mammogram and ultrasound, I haven't gotten the complete results of either yet. But during the ultrasound the tech left in the middle and came back with a doctor who scanned a portion of my breast himself. They said I have a large cluster of cysts and called it some thing with a long name, but that it's probably not cancerous as long as I'm not getting bloody discharge. I also have a referral to a breast surgeon I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with. They didn't really rule out cancer since it's apparently weird to have a huge cluster of cysts, but they didn't seem to want a biopsy. I'm really confused about whether I need to still be concerned about this or not or what is even going on? Also my best is still itchy and painful and leaking so wtf? What am I supposed to do?

Newbie New User
    Yes, this stuff can be confusing, to say the least. I hear you! I say this just to help give you something else to consider. My experience was much simpler than yours, but maybe knowing will help sort things out. I hope so.

I always have at least one cyst whenever I get a mammogram, and I always get referred for an ultrasound. Not too long ago I had pain, itchiness, and what felt to me and my GP a "lump" in one breast. I didn't have any discharge. It ended up being two cysts right next to each other. They were drained two days later in a simple procedure and I went back to work. I hope your situation resolves as simply as mine did. Good luck!!!

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you don't trust the opinion of those doctors, then ask for a referral to a cancer center to have it checked out.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - Radiation+Xeloda, 25 days in 5 weeks
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-May 2018 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789