A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catheter removed today - pain after urinating

Senior User

Catheter removed today - pain after urinating

I had my catheter removed today. The dye test showed no leaking. I have some issues I wanted to ask about.

1) After urinating, my bladder and urethra got very painful for about 20 minutes. I don't know if this is normal or not. This may be due to bladder spasms but not sure. I never took the spasm meds but I still have the full bottle. Should I take some?

2) The tip where the catheter entered the urethra stings like the dickens when the urine hits it. In a way this may be good because I get instant feedback when I'm leaking. I hope this clears up soon.

3) I found that I am compensating for the fact that I am expecting to leak. As as result, I am clenching my PC muscle all the time expecting to hold back a leak. My PC muscle is fatiguing because of this. This is causing discomfort. Should I just chill out and relax it and let the leaks happen?

I will create my profile line later this week when I get to feeling better.

Senior User
    OK, I have had to urinate three times since having the catheter removed. The same pattern happens every time. I relax the PC muscle completely and urine starts to flow. As soon as I'm empty I get severe pain quickly ramping up to a 10. I can hardly breathe and tense up. I feel like if this gets any worse I'm going to pass out. The intense pain lasts about five minutes and then diminishes to about a 7 for another five minutes. Then down to a 4 for five minutes. After about 20 minutes I'm completely back to normal. I'm going to contact doctor about this. The pain really is a 10. It's terrible. I can't handle this every three hours.

Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Some of the inconvenient aspects are probably normal, but probably not the terrible pains you are referring to.

I'm glad you're going to check with your doctor on this. Chances are everything IS normal and that you are among the patients who has more discomfort than others. But checking with the doctor is very important.

So please let us know what you find out.

Good luck!!
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    Local uro DRE revealed significant BPH, no lumps.
    PCa Dx Aug. 2011 age of 61.
    Biopsy DXd adenocarcinoma in 3/20 cores (one 5%, two 20%). T2C.
    Gleason 3+3=6. CT abdomen, bone scan negative.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    Surgeon was Dr. Matthew Tollefson, who I highly recommend.
    Final pathology shows tumor confined to prostate.
    5 lymph nodes, seminal vesicules, extraprostatic soft tissue all negative.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,
    doctor says this is insignificant.
    Prostate 98 grams, tumor 2 grams.
    Catheter out in 7 days. No incontinence, minor dripping for a few weeks.
    Seven annual post-op exams 2012 through 2018: PSA <0.1
    Semi-firm erections without "training wheels," usable erections with 100mg Sildenafil.
    NOTE: ED caused by BPH, not the surgery.

Senior User
    I woke up at 2:15 am needing to urinate. As I was getting up to get to the bathroom the pain hit BEFORE I urinated. This time it lasted an hour. I couldn't make it to the kitchen to get the hydrocodone (which I was using very sparingly). I unlocked the door and called 911 and couldn't make it any further. When the paramedics got here the pain was just starting to recede. I'm fine now but not sure for how long. My hydrocodone should last long enough to reach my doctor in the morning. This is some roller coaster ride. The pain was a level 10. OMG. I'll post back about what my doc says in the morning because it might help someone else.
    Last edited by Busby; 01-17-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Busby View Post
    I woke up at 2:15 am needing to urinate. As I was getting up to get to the bathroom the pain hit BEFORE I urinated. This time it lasted an hour. I couldn't make it to the kitchen to get the hydrocodone (which I was using very sparingly). I unlocked the door and called 911 and couldn't make it any further. When the paramedics got here the pain was just starting to recede. I'm fine now but not sure for how long. My hydrocodone should last long enough to reach my doctor in the morning. This is some roller coaster ride. The pain was a level 10. OMG. I'll post back about what my doc says in the morning because it might help someone else.
    When I had my TURP to reduce my prostate size for BPH (90 g down to 30), I lost a fair amount of blood in the long surgery. The uro covering the weekend for my uro/surgeon didn't think my hematocrit quite required a transfusion (which he wanted to avoid if possible), but did put more tension on my catheter balloon to put more pressure on the wound and source of the bleeding. This triggered hours of bladder spasms and the worst pain of my life. The pain was in waves between a 9 and a 10. Opioids (in this case a Dilaudad drip I managed and of course maxed out) often do very little for bladder spasm, in this case called breakthrough spasms. Then my BP dropped from an anti-spasm medication that was tried. Bladder spasm is where I'll put my money on the source of your agony. I feel for you, Busby!

You will think this is a strange thing to say, but the sense of total bliss I felt when the agony stopped was so overwhelming that I actually said the pain was almost worth it!

If you have urethral burning/stinging on urination, ask your uro about taking pyridium, a non-opioid urinary analgesic (also sold OTC; AZO is a popular brand).
    Last edited by DjinTonic; 01-17-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Regular User
    Busby, pay attention to your body. Just over a day after I had my catheter removed (6 days post RALP), I experienced excruciating pain when I tried to urinate. It was so bad, it brought me to the floor. Lasted about 45 minutes. The first time it happened, I took a Norco and went back to bed. Got up 3 hours later to urinate, and it happened again. Was so bad we considered calling 911.

Contacted my Urologist, and he told me to go to his hospital's ER. Once there, they did a CT of my abdomen, and determined my bladder was spasming due to urine retention. He reinstalled a catheter, which brought immediate relief, and this second cath stayed in for two weeks. The second cath removal went much better, and I am almost two weeks cath-free.

Urologist posited that post-op edema was causing my bladder and urethra to seize up.

As I understand it, urine retention can devolve into a serious issue, if untreated.

Beware of using the Hydrocodone too much. My Urologist instructed me that opiod-induced constipation can exacerbate the abdominal pain.

Senior User
    Went to Dr office. Micro leak internally and urine retention we're the problem. Got new catheter inserted. Leave in for five more days. What a relief.

Went to Dr office. Micro leak internally and urine retention we're the problem. Got new catheter inserted. Leave in for five more days. What a relief.
    Words that are not often expressed!!! This should be added to George Carlin's list of: "Things You Never Hear a Man Say!"

Very sorry to read of your post RP urinary issues. Be assured that these are transient and will resolve with time - hopefully VERY quickly!

Looking forward to a good news update next.

You will get over this!

MF

Regular User
    Busby, I was faced with a similar decision after my bout with horrible bladder spasm/retention pain after the removal of my first catheter, and the installation of my second catheter: how long to leave it in? My Uro MD and I decided to go conservative, and leave it in for two additional weeks, just be minimize the chances for a repeat performance of the agony I suffered through after the first removal.

I will admit to having serious anxiety as the date for my second catheter removal approached. Turns out it was no big deal, and I've been fine, but the pain was SO bad the first time, I was frightened of going through that again.

Hoping you avoid a second round of what I know is terrible experience.

Senior User
    dmwierz45, the doc said leave new cath in for five days. As you mentioned, the pain was incredible. I have no words to describe how bad it was. Not even the hydrocodone touched it. I just wish the catheters were not uncomfortable. Not sleeping well. I'll be glad when this is over.