A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Late mental health effects of childhood cancer

Late mental health effects of childhood cancer

Hello everyone,

My name is Ashleigh. I am 17 and a childhood ALL survivor. I’ve been in remission for 12 years.

I am joining this forum because I’m taking on an independent school project on advocating about late mental health effects of childhood cancer.

Personally, after treatment, I have had to live with anxiety and depression. I have talked with other childhood and teen cancer survivors about this and many of them have also expressed that they have experienced these disorders as well after treatment.

This got me suspicious that it wasn't such a coincidence after all...

I have started to do some research into this topic. Many websites that I have looked at for late effect information only had one bullet point listing “emotional problems”. Honestly, that is such a broad term that I believe can be narrowed down.

I know that we will probably not have all the answers to this topic but at least having a conversation about it is a good first step.
    I also believe that it is extremely important for families to know if down the road into remission their child is more at risk of developing anxiety and or depression after treatment. That way, people can get more support on living with these disorders after treatment rather than just giving treatment when or if it gets bad.

I would love to hear people’s thoughts/experiences and or opinions on this.

Thank you so much.
    -Ashleigh

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello Ashleigh:

You sound like a very smart intelligent person seeking to do good things. However, on this site, we do not allow members to ask for participation in research studies or projects. This is outlined in our forum policy. Childhood Cancers on this forum also is not very active as you can probably see.

I do believe there most likely is other sites open to what you are asking and also suggest contacting St Jude's or other Children's Hospitals. They may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Lisa