A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esophagus mass

Newbie New User

Esophagus mass

Hi. I am 43 F going through some testing for a mass found in my esophagus and am hoping someone else has been through this and has some insight. About a year ago I started feeling VERY VERY tired, all the time. It was like nothing I can describe. After multiple visits and tests, all negative, the found out it was mono. About 3 weeks later I started feeling better. It took months to build my strength and body back up but by about August I was pretty much back to normal. When I had mono they found my supraclavicular left lymph node was 1.2cm, but normal per US. Itís still the same size- no changes.

During the last year I have been continually sick. Only a couple weeks in between episodes. I have been coughing consistently and have been on steroids about 6 times for asthma since then. Probably 15 weeks total on steroids. I just assumed my getting sick was related to a lowered immune system from steroids.

I had the flu and went to the ED 6 days ago for my breathing. It felt different than my usual asthma, more like my upper airway was being blocked. They did a CT and found a 1.7 x 1.4 x 1.1 cm polypoid lesion in my upper thoracic esophagus with recommendation to have it biopsied. I wasnít concerned until the ED started calling daily to make sure I made a f/u appt. I called for the appt on Thursday and they saw me Friday. I have A barium swallow on Monday and have to call them back to schedule an EUS for biopsy.

The Dr said he is most concerned for a ďtumorĒ but I didnít clarify what type. I had a negative upper Endoscopy only 19 months ago (we know there is no Barrettís esophagus). The Dr thinks my cough is related to this mass due to the location.

Has anyone had an experience with a lesion in this area of the esophagus?

Regular User
    I had a mass found incidentally during a screening EGD last year. Mine ended up being a benign leiomyoma. I had the EUS too and was told unless it starts to bother me or gets extremely large they will leave alone. Mine was smooth and no marks or anything like that though. Masses of my kind are pretty rare. I did more research on esophageal cancer than I ever wanted to for sure. I hope it works out. Did they show you pictures of it?

Regular User
    Glad you are having the EUS. It will tell you either way on it and hopefully they can remove it.

Newbie New User
    Thank you. That makes me feel better We only have the CT so no pics. He said itís hard to distinguish what it is by a CT other than a mass. But it is polypoid shape. I think itís the location in the esophagus that made this so concerning for him. I probably should have asked more questions but I really was caught off guard. I was expecting him to say it is probably benign and when he didnít I just was a bit to shocked to think of what to ask.

Regular User
    Welcome. Mine was a submucousal mass. Polypoids can go either way so good you are having it looked at. To be honest I was so scared because if you google lesions in the esophagus you get all kinds of scary stuff. Keep us posted!

Regular User
    How did your test go?

Newbie New User
    The GI Dr thought it was a esophageal duplication cyst. He didnít biopsy it because of the risk of infection.

I consulted a surgeon at Cleveland Clinic to remove it. He thinks I need more tests, a chest CT (the original CT was a neck CT for the cough). He also wants to do another EUS himself and he wants to biopsy it before he takes it out. He wants me there in a week so Iíll know more then. Iím a bit nervous so Iím just trying not to stress it. Hopefully he is just really cautious.

The only thing I think is weird is that a duplication cyst is congenital so I would have had it from birth. I had an endoscopy 19 months ago for my reflux and they didnít see anything. This endoscopy showed a pretty big mass in my esophagus. I will update after I have more answers. I feel pretty confident itís not cancer though. I think overall the EUS would have shown if it was.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Maybe it is the tendency toward developing duplication cysts. Such a growth would have been removed when you were a child, one would think.

Newbie New User
    I would think it would have shown up before also but I never had any issues as a child, or an adult, with swallowing (which is suprising after seeing the pictures of the lesion on my recent upper GI). The GI Dr that did the EUS thinks the lesion looks like a duplication cyst with the ultrasound, and Iím really hoping he is right. Seems an easy fix, take it out and itís done. The CT, EUS, and barium swallow all show a mass in the same spot so itís something, and a cyst seems like the best thing it could be.

Regular User
    Thanks for the feed back on this. I know its been a while since you posted this, but a duplication cyst is a good thing for it to be. I seem to have a tendency towards leiomyomas. I have the one in my esophagus and I have had them in uterus. Keep us posted on what happens.