A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CA 19-9 increases after finished chemo therapy

Senior User
    hi ddesert. not sure of relevancy but my stage 2 with no lymph node invo!vement
    was very close to having a total pancreatomy. ended up with subtotal. it was bc of the location of my tumor not size or progression.
    it was right at the neck.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    53 yrs old
    3/8/18 went to ER w/what i thought to be gall bladder issues...CT and MRI found 1.5 cm spot on body/neck of pancreas
    3/10/18 Followed up with endoscopic u/s and biopsy. No mets/contained
    3/20/18 started 4 cycles of Gem/Abrax followed by distal pancreatomy.
    5/15/18 CT scan showed tumor shrinkage .97cm
    7/11/18 Pre surgery CT scan shows slight tumor growth (1.2cm) could be necrosis.
    8/3/18 distal pancreatomy/splenectomy-open procedure. No mets, no lymph node involvement.
    9/26/18 CA19 33 NORMAL
    10/10/18 CA19 up to 53. Time to go back to treatment!
    10/10/18 Starting 3 mos Folfirinox adjuvant therapy.
    5/12/19 CT scan shows enlarged lymph node at surgical site. EUS biopsy determines cancer. Local and contained.
    6/22-26 Begin radiation. SBRT 5 day regimen.

Senior User
    was very close to having a total pancreatomy. ended up with subtotal. it was bc of the location of my tumor not size or progression.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    53 yrs old
    3/8/18 went to ER w/what i thought to be gall bladder issues...CT and MRI found 1.5 cm spot on body/neck of pancreas
    3/10/18 Followed up with endoscopic u/s and biopsy. No mets/contained
    3/20/18 started 4 cycles of Gem/Abrax followed by distal pancreatomy.
    5/15/18 CT scan showed tumor shrinkage .97cm
    7/11/18 Pre surgery CT scan shows slight tumor growth (1.2cm) could be necrosis.
    8/3/18 distal pancreatomy/splenectomy-open procedure. No mets, no lymph node involvement.
    9/26/18 CA19 33 NORMAL
    10/10/18 CA19 up to 53. Time to go back to treatment!
    10/10/18 Starting 3 mos Folfirinox adjuvant therapy.
    5/12/19 CT scan shows enlarged lymph node at surgical site. EUS biopsy determines cancer. Local and contained.
    6/22-26 Begin radiation. SBRT 5 day regimen.

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susanmac View Post
    susanmac, Everyone is relevant!!!

Regular User
    Your case has the same symptoms as my husband. How are you doing now?

Newbie New User
    I would encourage you if not plead with you to please let them do the scope for your husband and see what is going on. My husband, 54 years old, was diagnosed in July 2018, had the whipple, 4 rounds of chemo, but his ca19-9 levels were never predictive of his disease. It was only a 74 when he had Stage 3 in July and actually dropped to 13 when he had stage 4. All the symptoms your husband is feeling should be checked by a scope if the doctors are offering to do that....it's the best way to find out what is going on in stomach, etc. I'm sure he is very sick and in pain, and I can totally sympathize, but trust me, it would be better to know now what is going on in there with the accuracy of a scope than to wait 3 months to give him a rest.

Senior User
    Sorry I have not checked in in awhile. Baoyente. I am doing well. I have my first post chemo scan tomorrow. My CA19 had gone down at my last blood work in Feb. 42. I am nervous for tomorrow but am mostly confident that itís too soon for it to be back. Iíll let yíall know
    If I were your husband I would want the scope. Take care

Regular User
    I haven’t checked in for a while. My husband has laparoscopy scheduled on April 8, 2019 and will follow up with the oncologist for treatment plan. We enrolled the ‘know my tumor’ at www.pancan.org to have molecularly profiled, their lab is tempus will do it for free and will request your pancreas tissue and blood test. The report will be sent to the oncologist with treatment options including clinical trials. I’m positive at this time and will post some information to share in here. Best wish to all.
    Yen

Senior User
    My first scan post chemo went well In march.l. They did say there was a mass of tissue or something where my pancreas use to be (I had subtotal pancrťatectomy). But since my CA19 went from 42 to 35 they said weíll keep an eye on it. Could be inflammation . So I go back today a month later for blood work only and my CA19 is up to 61. I have to have an EUS next Tuesday and Iím really scared. This damn cancer!! Pray I have a clean Eus next tues thx!!!
    Last edited by susanmac; 04-10-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Senior User
    Susanmac, if the mass of tissue is inflammation, wouldn't the ca-19 reflect that by going up- just as what is happening? Let's hope for that. I have also read of pdac patients having a second surgery to completely eradicate the disease if it turns out there is a section of tumor left over. Not a pleasant thought but better than the alternative. And we know you're tough when it comes to the treatments!

Senior User
    Thanks Jamie. I didnít know about the 2nd surgery option. I feel like my onc would just throw me back on chemo. Why not radiation if itís contained? Iím getting ahead of myself....praying itís inflammation...Iíve had a lot of it! Hope you are doing well on your treatment!