A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good TED talk

Good TED talk

65 YO healthy man
    PSA had been 4.1/2 for a couple of years,
    PSA 5/1/17 4.6,
    Multiparametric MRI, 5/15/17 showed lesion
    13 core needle biopsy 3 cores positive 3+3 and one positive in the lesion, may be overlap
    All cores less than 30%
    8/22/17 - second opinion pathology shows a small amount of (3+4) in one core, < 5%, ordered decipher to inform next steps
    9/27/17 -Decipher test shows intermediate risk so now exploring treatment options.
    2/6/18 - completed HDR BT
    5/3/18 Post HDR BT PSA 1.3
    9/18/18 PSA 1.2
    4/1/19 PSA 1.0 Testosterone 475
    Thanks, Denis
    "One day at a time"

Experienced User
    Last edited by Trex Dino; 03-22-2019 at 02:17 AM.
    Age DX 63 dob 1955
    8/11/16 CT scan (due to little blood/sand in urine). Prostate normal w/central calcifiction.
    11/6/18 GP appt freq urination/retro ejact. PSA 7.1 (RX Proscar/Flomax)
    12/4/18 PSA 4.1 14.8% Free (PSA drop Proscar?)
    12/18/18 URO DRE felt ridge.
    12/27/18 MRI Lesion 1.6cm. Lymph nodes similar to 2016 CT, prostate normal size. Stage 3. PIRADS 4.
    1/29/19 Biopsy
    2/5/19 DX: 13 samples, (6) Gleason 7, (2) Gleason 8, (4) Gleason 9 and (1) susp. Stage 3.
    2/19/19 Bone and CT scans: No definite evid of met disease in the chest, abd or
    pelvis.
    3/14/2019 Robotic prostate surgery.
    3/22/2019 Catheter removed and post-op pathology report.

Collect the data, then develop a theory ... don't develop the theory then collect the data.

Good stuff, thank you

IMO Mr Jim McCarthy falls perilously close to the category of charlatan. He should have never been allowed on stage to give a TED Talk related to being diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is on AS! He has not been affected by Prostate Cancer except for his self proclaimed grossly inappropriate psychological impacts of a disease status that is most likely 100% harmless to him. He received a gift diagnosis not a death sentence!

He has not experienced any of the following either individually or in combination: Radiation Therapy, Radical Prostatectomy Surgery, Hormone Therapy; Radical Prostatectomy Surgery followed by Radiation Therapy, Any of these combined with Hormone Therapy, incontinence, erectile dysfunction, loss of masculinity during treatment and obviously not death by prostate cancer.

No, he experienced no pain or suffering. He has never had to battle the disease. Rather he used his "misfortune" to snag a new girlfriend and ride off to a new start in his blue convertible. Get out the puke bags buddy!!!

Instead Mr McCarthy stands in the spotlight and insipidly spews out a theme stolen from the great Al Greene: Love and Happiness. What a misguided total fool! What an insult to the members of this forum who have been truly impacted by prostate cancer.

Sorry Mr SubDenis but you should remove the link to Mr McCarthy's shameful self-aggrandizing charade.
    Last edited by Semiramide; 03-21-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Thank you Semiramide for saving my precious time. I won't even bother watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Semiramide View Post
    IMO Mr Jim McCarthy falls perilously close to the category of charlatan. He should have never been allowed on stage to give a TED Talk related to being diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is on AS! He has not been affected by Prostate Cancer except for his self proclaimed grossly inappropriate psychological impacts of a disease status that is most likely 100% harmless to him. He received a gift diagnosis not a death sentence!

He has not experienced any of the following either individually or in combination: Radiation Therapy, Radical Prostatectomy Surgery, Hormone Therapy; Radical Prostatectomy Surgery followed by Radiation Therapy, Any of these combined with Hormone Therapy, incontinence, erectile dysfunction, loss of masculinity during treatment and obviously not death by prostate cancer.

No, he experienced no pain or suffering. He has never had to battle the disease. Rather he used his "misfortune" to snag a new girlfriend and ride off to a new start in his blue convertible. Get out the puke bags buddy!!!

Instead Mr McCarthy stands in the spotlight and insipidly spews out a theme stolen from the great Al Greene: Love and Happiness. What a misguided total fool! What an insult to the members of this forum who have been truly impacted by prostate cancer.

Sorry Mr SubDenis but you should remove the link to Mr McCarthy's shameful self-aggrandizing charade.
    Nevermind...
    Last edited by IceStationZebra; 03-22-2019 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
    Thank you Semiramide for saving my precious time. I won't even bother watching.
    Good comments, Semiramide.

We have a few brothers, with little experience, but strong opinions and quick tongues. It takes all kinds.
    72...LUTS for the past 7 years
    TURP 2/16,
    G3+4 discovered
    3T MRI 5/16
    MRI fusion guided biopsy 6/16
    14 cores; four G 3+3, one G3+4,
    CIPRO antibiotic = C. Diff infection 7/16
    Cured with Vanco for 14 days
    Second 3T MRI 1/17
    Worsened bulging of posterior capsule
    Oncotype DX GPS 3/17, LFP risk 63%, Likelihood of Low
    Grade Disease 81%, Likelihood of Organ Confined 80%
    RALP 7/13/17 Dr. Gonzaglo @ Univ of Miami
    G3+4 Confirmed, Organ confined
    pT2c pNO pMn/a Grade 2
    PSA 0.32 to .54 over 3 months
    DCFPyl PET & ercMRI Scans - 11/17
    A one inch tumor remains in prostate bed = failed surgery
    All met scans clear
    SRT, 2ADT, IMGT 70.2 Gys @1.8 per, completed 5/18
    PSA <.006 9/18, .054 11/18, .070 12/18, .067 2/19
    We'll see....what is not known dwarfs what is thought to be fact

Semiramide, Are you saying that those of us who are low risk are not deserving of being heard?

If so, then you are blind to the stresses of fearing that oneís ticket could be punched by their next test.

If you are attempting to validate each manís opinion by their Gleason score, then you are also dividing a community that we all should be supporting and strengthening.

I participate in nine on-line and one in-person PCa support group. While there are many, many differences of opinions, this is the first time that I have ever heard one patient dismiss another based on their current risk profile. Not good....
    DOB: May 1944
    In Active Surveillance program at Johns Hopkins
    Strict protocol of tests, including PHI, DRE, MRI, and biopsy.
    Six biopsies from 2009 to 2019. Numbers 1, 2, and 5 were negative. Numbers 3,4, and 6 were positive with 5% Gleason(3+3) found. Last one was Precision Point transperineal.
    PSA 4.4, fPSA 24, PHI 32
    Hopefully, I can remain untreated. So far, so good.

I hear your point and we have many members on AS, they have cancer and have experienced the trials of knowing they have cancer. I think those on AS are impacted by PC. Denis
    65 YO healthy man
    PSA had been 4.1/2 for a couple of years,
    PSA 5/1/17 4.6,
    Multiparametric MRI, 5/15/17 showed lesion
    13 core needle biopsy 3 cores positive 3+3 and one positive in the lesion, may be overlap
    All cores less than 30%
    8/22/17 - second opinion pathology shows a small amount of (3+4) in one core, < 5%, ordered decipher to inform next steps
    9/27/17 -Decipher test shows intermediate risk so now exploring treatment options.
    2/6/18 - completed HDR BT
    5/3/18 Post HDR BT PSA 1.3
    9/18/18 PSA 1.2
    4/1/19 PSA 1.0 Testosterone 475
    Thanks, Denis
    "One day at a time"

Quote Originally Posted by ASAdvocate View Post
    Semiramide, Are you saying that those of us who are low risk are not deserving of being heard?

I participate in nine on-line and one in-person PCa support group. While there are many, many differences of opinions, this is the first time that I have ever heard one patient dismiss another based on their current risk profile. Not good....
    I don't believe that's what he was doing. My read is he was stating an opinion, too strongly for many, but still with some validity. You have done the same, ASA, and so have I. Reading too much into your opinion of his motives doesn't help us learn anything. IMHO, of course.
    72...LUTS for the past 7 years
    TURP 2/16,
    G3+4 discovered
    3T MRI 5/16
    MRI fusion guided biopsy 6/16
    14 cores; four G 3+3, one G3+4,
    CIPRO antibiotic = C. Diff infection 7/16
    Cured with Vanco for 14 days
    Second 3T MRI 1/17
    Worsened bulging of posterior capsule
    Oncotype DX GPS 3/17, LFP risk 63%, Likelihood of Low
    Grade Disease 81%, Likelihood of Organ Confined 80%