A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Hi

Newbie New User

Hi

Hi Iím new here . Just had a ct scan after having what I thought was a virus for 6 months . I canít eat much and have lost a lot of weight . Scan said I have small suspect cancer all over , especially in abdomen and pelvis . They think I have got small cell lung cancer. I had a biopsy of a gland in my neck yesterday and am awaiting results. At this stage I have no idea if I can have chemo or not. Has anyone else been through this.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Hello Divvy:

Sorry you had to find your way here based on what the doctors are suspecting at this point. However, without the biopsy, it is all speculative at this point as the biopsy will be reviewed and a determination will be made based on the findings.

As to your question, yes, as either a patient, caregiver, or loved one, we have all been through this. The waiting it the hardest part but there is no fast forward through the diagnostic process.

Once the results are in, if a cancer diagnosis is made, your doctors will put together a treatment plan or discuss options with you.

For now, try to keep calm, continue doing the things you enjoy and wait for the results. Please do keep us updated and we will do our best to help answer your questions as you know more.

Lisa

Newbie New User
    Had biopsy , I have got small cell , I see dr on Monday and should start chemo on Friday all being well. My problem at the moment is that I can’t eat. I have a horrible sour taste in my mouth and no food tastes right. All the things I used to like I no longer do . They have given me supplements to drink . I have lost so much welght through not eating . Any tips please.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Divvy:

I have moved your thread to the Lung Cancer forum as this is where you will receive support more specific to your diagnosis. I am sorry you need to be here but you have come to a place of support and understanding.

As far as food, I would definitely make sure you have plenty of protein drinks available and see how you like them. Cancer, especially combined with chemotherapy will be challenging as far as eating and drinking. However, in order to combat any possible side effects, both are essential especially drinking plenty of fluids. I also assume your doctor will be providing anti-nausea meds? If not, make sure you discuss this with him/her and have meds at the ready.

For now, as much as things do not taste good, try your best to eat things you enjoy. If you eat several small meals throughout the day, you may find it much easier than eating a large meal. Definitely do try to go for walks to help your muscles. Listen to your body, rest when you need and move around as much as you can.

Please do not hesitate to post your questions here or just even vent if you need to. We are here for you and while we sometimes do not have the answers, we are good listeners.

Lisa

Senior User
    Hello,
    Sorry your diagnosis has been confirmed and you are struggling with taste/appetite issues. Has anyone in your medical team suggested that this might be due to zinc depletion? You may want to ask them if you could benefit from zinc supplementation to help you recover your appetite and stop the weight loss.
    Best of luck to you.
    PBL

Hi and welcome!
    Yes not eating is bad, can you drink the supplement drinks? Or try eating ice cream or whatever you can. Please inform your doctor if you can't!!
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    August 18, all still same, living life every day
    January 2019 < CT said NED!!!!
    Fingers crossed