A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Clinical Trial in USA (from India)

Clinical Trial in USA (from India)

Hi John,

I live in California and my dad who lives in India is 60 years old and has recently been diagnosed with Stage 3 inoperable Pancreatic cancer. He is currently undergoing Chemotherapy in India. How can I sign him up for any of the clinical trials happening in the USA. Does he have to come visit the clinic/hospital in person to be considered for these trials or can I bring his medical records to the clinic undergoing the trial?
    This is my first day in the forum and I apologize if this is not the appropriate way to ask questions here.

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've moved your post to a new thread so that it will attract its own answers.

In the USA, you can contact PanCan.org for clinical trial searches and information. They are the primary patient support organization in the USA and keep close tabs on all the open clinical trials.

When you've found a trial that is acceptable, I would contact the clinical trial point of contact that will be listed for that trial. You may want to look at multiple trial options, and they will each have their own point of contact.

It is very likely that they will want pathology slides to verify that your dad's cancer is the right type for admittance into their trial. Transferring those slides was the longest part of my enrollment into my trial. They'll also want all the medical records and notes from his doctor in India. I keep copies of all my own records so that I can send them quickly to anyone that will be handling my care.

There will likely be a in-person visit at the beginning of the trial as they have to record all sorts of information of patients as the enroll in the trial. All treatments are usually done at the clinical trial site to make sure they are done consistently for all the patients.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - IMRT+Xeloda
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-May 2019 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789
    Jun 2019- NCT03805919
    @pancanology

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by imran_haiderin View Post
    Hi John,

I live in California and my dad who lives in India is 60 years old and has recently been diagnosed with Stage 3 inoperable Pancreatic cancer. He is currently undergoing Chemotherapy in India. How can I sign him up for any of the clinical trials happening in the USA. Does he have to come visit the clinic/hospital in person to be considered for these trials or can I bring his medical records to the clinic undergoing the trial?
    This is my first day in the forum and I apologize if this is not the appropriate way to ask questions here.
    Where in CA ? Nearby to Stanford and UCSF ?