A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My wife was just diagnosed with brain cancer

My wife was just diagnosed with brain cancer

My wife was just diagnosed with a primary grade II glioma. The glioma is located in the corpus callosum, so is inoperable. We have not yet seen the radiologist or oncologist yet. (We received her results on Thursday from the neurosurgeon.) I am angry and scared. I want to protect her from this, I also am afraid of losing her. The neurosurgeon acts like it is not that big of a deal, but can't answer any of our questions (we asked what type of glioma the biopsy said it was, and were told it is just a glioma not a specific type etc.) and that radiation should fix everything.
    I also know the tumor is small, but has been growing (it appears to have doubled in size over the past year, but the Drs have given us approximate sizes--the size of a pinkynail growing to the size of a thumbnail, rather than actual measurements, so we need to ask the next doctor for more specifics.) But when I research online, I a) can find almost nothing about tumors in the corpus callosum, and b) almost everything I read makes it seem that even low grade slow growing tumors are inevitable a death sentence.
    My wife and I both tell each other that it will be fine. That she is going to be OK. But nothing I read makes me believe it, and I don't actually want to ask the questions I most fear around her, because I want to be as positive as I can for her.

I'm very sorry to hear of your wife's diagnosis, but I'd like to welcome you to the forum. We have some experienced brain cancer users here, who I'm sure will be able to offer their insight, or try to answer any questions you may have.
    Age 54 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED
    Spring 2019 - NED