A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: New member motorcity MI Colorectal CA stage 2 TIIIb N0

Newbie New User

New member motorcity MI Colorectal CA stage 2 TIIIb N0

Hello, Im new here, First, i hope everyone on here can find peace thru their experiences and keep God close and stay strong. I will post my treatments and adventures on here as well to maybe help others and/or give some insight to my experiences.
    Well, I was diagnosed back in July 2018 with colorectal CA after approximately 6 or more months of periodic blood in my stool. Originally I thought it was a hemorhoid as i have had them in the past. Unfortunately, my first colonoscopy was done and they found some polyps and the mass. I was shocked as I thought what the hell did I do to cause this?? Im healthy, I go to the gym, I eat good and dont really have any bad habits, etc. I had my typical appointments with the drs and didnt like what i was hearing. I did a lot of research and prayed a lot. I wasnt sure what to do? I decided to try to change everything around, diet, supplements, etc. I started using rso and took every supplement that was supposed to have an effect on cancer. I dropped 40 lbs over the next couple of months from eating differently and probably stress. lol. I thought i was headed in the right direction because i felt fine accept now i was having a dull aching pain that i dealt with for awhile then had to start taking motrin 400 mg every 6 hours. The holidays came and went so after in February I had another lab work up and revisisted my doctors. CEA went from 3.5 to 4.8. Had another mri and it showed the tumor has grown. Very disappointing I thought with all the research and life changes and supplements and rso i had this thing beat!! Well i took some time to consider the posibillty that i had to do something else involving standard treatments. I have to say im not looking forward to doing the radiation/chemotherapy but am moving forward to getting rid of this major pain in the rear literally!!! I will post my 6 weeks of treatment on here as to inform others of my experiences. Im scheduled to start radiation next week along with xeloda (chemo) for six weeks and then another colonoscopy to see how i responded. In the mean while i will keep eating pretty clean, continue taking my supplements and rso during the treatment. Hopefully by continuing this my treatment will be more effective and the side efeects will be less. Time will tell im keeping my head up and staying strong!! My kids need me and i have a lot of things left to accomplish in this life!! Keep you informed.

Mike,
    Sorry to read your post.
    One thing that concerns me is
    After the polyps and tumour was found in July 2018 has it taken till recently to commence treatment.
    thats 9 months.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    Mike,
    Sorry to read your post.
    One thing that concerns me is
    After the polyps and tumour was found in July 2018 has it taken till recently to commence treatment.
    thats 9 months.
    Barry
    No problem, I waited to start standard treatment and tried a natural approach first. Now im doing both

“Natural Approach”,
    Im assuming by a natural approach you mean dietary as well as proprietary herbal or so called miraculous curative powers of certain potions or let’s call the old fashioned term Elixirs.
    In no way am I demeaning your faith or belief using the word miraculous,
    as this is the claim of many bogus treatments which unfortunately been medically proven to be fake promises

With any cancer the faster it is diagnosed and treatment started the better.
    A Cautionary note
    Clear any supplements you intend taking with your doctors prior to commencing treatment, particularly the chemo.
    Good luck and I do hope everything works out for you and your family.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Mike,

My view of diet throughout treatment was rather different and was prompted by what my oncologist said which was that during chemo I would need to eat to provide energy for the body to repair itself from theeffects of the chemo. It was strongly suggested that was not the time to try out 'healthy' diets and instead I should concentrate on foods that had fuel in them eg puddings with cream, bacon, fried eggs, fries (chips here in the UK). However I did concentrate on taking as much exercise as I could and I am sure that helped me to combat the fatigue effects of the chemo. And if a future operation is on the horizon then being as fit as possible will pay dividends when the time comes to recover from the operation.

I hope all goes well with your treatment.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

Mike, I am sorry to read your post as well. Barry and Nick have said what needs to be posted for you. Their suggestions regarding treatment, diet and exercise are right on target as far as I am concerned. Barry's comment regarding treatment of cancers is very especially important and especially important for colorectal cancer. Good luck and please post back when you learn more.

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED