A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: CT Study Result

Newbie New User

CT Study Result

I was recently in the hospital for a catheter ablation for afib. There was a complication and my heart was pierced resulting in blood filling the percardium. The Dr inserted a needle to drain fluid and accidentally pierced my lung causing it to collapse.

A CT was done to guide the tube to remove the air and inflate the lung. It worked and I was discharged 3 days later. Upon discharge one of the doctors mentioned in passing of a finding not mentioned to me before and gave me her card and said I should see her next week. I got a copy of the CT scan results and it states;

Nonspecific irregular opacity in the right middle lobe measuring 2.2 cm in greatest diameter. Comparison studies would be helpful if available. If no studies are available for comparison recommend follow-up PET/CT to better evaluate. I am 62 year old male former smoker quite 10 years ago and exercise regularly. This has me quite concerned. Irregular border seems to be bad sign from what I read.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Wow...What an experience! I have nothing much to say about the first part -- your "procedure." Probably labeled it as relatively "standard," too. Once they go in for surgery, I guess anything can happen.

In any case, onto your lung opacity, which is what leads to your current concerns. There's not much you can do about this in the meantime, but consider yourself "lucky" to have caught this in time to further investigate.

About 10 years ago, my mom went in for a routine scan on her throat. She too, was a smoker. While they didn't see anything unusual in her throat, they noticed at the bottom of her scan, which showed the tops of her lungs, a small spot in her upper left lobe.

She went in for a biopsy, and as luck would have it, the spot turned out to be an early stage of NSCLC. They proceeded with a lobectomy, and she's still around today.

There are a number of things that can cause "spots" and "opacities" in our lungs. Sometimes, these turn out to be cancers. If it is, you may have caught it early enough to treat it. There are some very good treatments available today, and we have many success stories right here on this forum.

I wish you the best and should you have more questions, please come back and ask. Keep us updated on your circumstances, if you would.

Best wishes.
    Age 52 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    First, welcome to our forum and know we understand your worry. Now, we do not interpret test results, as they should be left up to a medical professional. Have you been researching the verbiage used within the results you have? The results are written in medical language which most cannot understand unless they are versed in the medical profession. Google has no degree and has no knowledge of your medical history. It is also very good and pointing you to the “worst” case scenario, hence, the reason we do get many “worried” posters.

I do believe your doctor is being proactive with your health and want to quickly identify the opacities seen on X-ray. Keep in mind, while we can not say it is not cancer, there are many other reasons for what it may be. Infection, scarring, etc. Let the medical professional do their job, work diligently with getting it checked out and be an advocate for your own health.

We do sincerely hope that cancer will not become a diagnosis but in the event, it is, please know we will be here for you without hesitation.

Keep us updated on the progress being made to definitively identify the cause of concern.

Lisa

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Until proved otherwise, it may be best to consider it a lung nodule, which is a rather common occurrence. Mankind has had them since day 1, but we now have the ability tosxan or X-ray and see them. I have a 2cm nodule (and smaller ones) which are being watched now. Most of them stem from some form of inflammation or infection in the lung, and I have had both. I also have had various nodules in years past and all resolved on their own, as most do. This is something to be monitored. Doctor will probably biopsy if it seems to progress - remembering that a biopsy is only an examination, not yet any form of diagnosis.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    PET/CT scan results show nodule decreased in size by 4mm from time of previous CT scan. (Suvmax .8 no significant FDG uptake which favors benign post inflammatory or post infectious rather than a malignancy. I am scheduled for another Ct scan next week. Hopefully good news there as well.
    Last edited by perkman66; 06-19-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: smiley face where .8 should be don't know why

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Thank you for checking back in. Aside from the nodule disappearing, shrinkage is the best possible news that you could receive. Absolutely zero reason to suspect any disease process, and the radiologist affirms this. If this still bothers you, please speak with doctor about your thoughts. Closing this thread now, as there is zero evidence of malignancy. Should you ever have such a diagnosis, we are here for support.