A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is lung cancer hereditary?

Is lung cancer hereditary?

Hi I am 30-year-old man and I have been worrying about cancer for some time. I have not yet gone to hospital for a check-up because I always have depression about going to hospital. My mum died of cancer in hospital many years ago and I don't like the environment, the atmosphere and everything about hospital.

I know I should go for a check-up. I know it's hard to tell. I know it's no use yelling here. I know.. I know... but you know. It's sometimes hard to be very reasonable or logical. P

Except childhood, I experienced my first nosebleed in my adult age almost three years ago, back to 2011, when I was 27. At that time I was having serious conflicts with my boss and was under EXTREME pressure. In the last month of my stay in the company, everybody treated me like shit and I experienced nosebleeds for three times in that month. After I left the company in Dec 2011, I didn't have any nosebleeds for the whole year in 2012. I thought extreme stress at that time was the reason for my nosebleeds and everything was over, until 2013. On a night of June 2013, I had nosebleed in the midnight, it happened suddenly and spontaneously, nothing special happened before or after that to cause the nosebleed. My real worry came up and I didn't sleep well.

Nosebleed happened for one time only in 2013. Three for 2011 and none for 2012.

and now only halfway of 2014, I had nosebleeds for 3 times. They happened in January, June and August, and all happened without signs or environmental reasons. They happened randomly and at random time of the day. I can't guess any common causes to explain that.

Little bit background
    I am 30. No pass serious medical history. Lifestyle: high calories, high energy, lack of sports, very stressful work with a lot of deadlines. Now I have taken serious care about my diet , rarely eat at night and go to bed earlier.
    I smoked since I was 20 and quit completely when I was 28.
    Nosebleeds only happened on the right nostril, and could be stopped in a few minutes.
    My mum diagnosed of lung cancer in 49-year-old and passed away two years after and she was never a smoker. She didn't light up a cigar for her whole life.

Once again, Yes Yes Yes I know I should go for a medical check-up. But I really have big mental 'obstacles' about going for a check-up. I do really want to have some guess and mental preparation first. I don't want to go there like Russian Roulette - 1/2 chance, YES or NO.

Maybe you think I am here looking for candies like ' No, you are young, you won't have...'' NO NO NO. i am NOT looking for someone to lie to me. Please don't lie. Please tell me your guess in the most honest way after you read about me above.
    Please tell me how likely (from your experience or medical statistics) a 30-year-old man with the stated lifestyle, symptoms and family medical history will have the disease.

I've read a UK research website, stating that the lifetime risk of getting any types of cancer before the age of 64 is very small and less than 1% for any particular type. This is an encouraging number. But in recent years, from newspaper and local media I see a lot of news title and report cases about very young adults getting cancer. I don't know how I can get rid of such depression and nightmare before going for a check-up

Welcome any comments.

Super Moderator Top User
    I am not sure what you are looking for, but I see absolutely no reason to think you have cancer. However, you are having nosebleeds that worry you, so you ought to see a doctor. I don't see any reason to go to a hospital. Just go to a doctor and tell them you have been having frequent nosebleeds.

GBM is absolutely right.
    Sounds like you are liking for something that does not exist.
    But having a medical checkup may just ease your mental anguish.

The facts are
    1 in 3 people in the UK will in some way be affected by cancer during their lifetime.
    This is a statistical medical fact.

It does not indicate that one will get cancer what it means is that you will be aware, know someone that has a cancer, if it not yourself.

Fact
    You are more likely to be hit by a bus or car than developing a cancer.
    I won't and don't lie
    So here it is
    If you go through your life looking for trouble the chances are you will find it.

If you looking for cancer DON'T
    There are too many people on here fighting for their lives, battling surgery and chemotherapy which affects both themselves and everyone involved without and I don't apologise YOU looking for a excuse to post a question that no one can answer.
    get your anxieties in check and if in the unlikely event you at some time are unfortunately diagnosed then you will be welcome to return and we shall attempt to provide any support we can give.

Until then please move on and live the life you have without letting your mind overtake common sense.
    Continue using the Internet searching for possibilities will make you even more anxious most likely without any reason.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    October -still the same pains but under semi control.
    Additional chest CT scan ordered for 11th November prior to surgery.
    Sinus surgery done and dusted.
    July 2014 PSA at 5.10. 2months of antibiotics in case of UTI, jan 2015 PSA at 7.20, 23/08 now 8.2, current 8.1
    Prostate Cancer confirmed Gleason 3+Marginal 4.
    Active surveillance continues.
    PET CT Aug 2017 indicated lung nodule changes
    CT Guided biopsy 7/09
    November 1 Vats Wedge section pathology Glomulated previous infection
    no Cancer.

Not all's rosy in the garden, but see following.
    Stop grumbling Baz, your still alive and kicking so far.
    Age and illness doesn't define who we are, but more what we are able to do.
    Motto
    Do what I love doing, when I can until I can't.
    and dodging bullets in the meanwhile, too many bullets at moment.

Thanks GBM and Baz, first I am sorry because my English is not really good. I am not speaking English actually. I know after a lot of small talks and guess the only solution is to go for a medical check-up first, I know... I know... but sorry man I really DON'T want to do that. That's why I am writing here. Yes, you guys read me, you read me, yes, I really don't know what I am looking for here, I know I am not looking for lies or comfort. But I know I am very much emotionally affected because I really can't move an inch going for doctor......

Super Moderator Top User
    Your English is fine.

I can understand your anxiety about seeing a doctor after losing your mother to cancer. I'm experiencing something similar myself right now. I really can't make myself go to a doctor. However, I also don't worry about my health problems at all.

You should probably see a doctor. The nosebleeds probably aren't anything really serious. But because you are so worried about them, you should see a doctor. It's either/or. Either see a doctor, or resolve to worry less.

And seeing a doctor would be a good idea, just to find out what is going on.

forgive me if it's silly questions

first English is not my mother tongue so if my vocab and grammar may not be very appropriate, I apologize.

I think I had no idea about cancer until I was 20, when my mother was diagnosed of lung cancer in 2004 while she never lighted a cigarette in her lifetime. She passed away in 2006 after two-year fights at the age of 51

My family were having the lowest time of our life during her treatment, and a few years after she left us. We still miss her after a lot of years in our heart.

In fact, is cancer something we can do to avoid?

I am only a random unimportant person who does n't know about medicine. I get all the information from Dr. Google and urban legend. As far as i know, there are three fundamental causes of cancer 1. hereditary (DNA or genes -like thing) 2. Lifestyle. 3. Environmental reasons (e.g. affected by neutron bomb or serious radiation).

btw, any more causes in addition to above three?

OK. Environmental reason is not discussed.

From my understanding, hereditary / DNA / gene is something we cannot (or can hardly) change. We know that if one has a family member who has a history of cancer then he/she is more likely to get cancer (higher chance)

For the lifestyle cause, we know that we can avoid a lot of cancer with healthy lifestyle. e.g. do not smoke, do not drink, regular exercises and proper diet ...... that we all know by common sense (lower chance)

But over the years, I've heard a lot of bad news and legends. My friend (she is an honest teacher) said her grandpa died of lung cancer in 60 and he never smoked but her grandma smoked a pack of cigar daily and she lived to 100 and never had a cancer. She thinks that cancer is something we can hardly do anything to avoid, it's a destiny. She is an assistant professor in university.

I've heard a lot of such small talks. I know they can't be proved, but my mum was a good example that she was not benefited from 'healthy lifestyle'

ok, I think I have messed up with my questions. Sorry

I 'd like to know.

If someone is hereditarily susceptible to cancer, how likely he can avoid cancer with 'healthy lifestyle' ? Is there any such statistics or study for this area?

What I mean is , speaking mathematically, if we take hereditary reason as a negative force/polar (-ve) while lifestyle reason as positive force/polar (+ve), when these two forces act against each other, what is likely to be the resultant force? +ve or -ve? if +ve, how positive it is and if -ve, how negative it is?

Quote Originally Posted by GBMsibling View Post
    Your English is fine.

I can understand your anxiety about seeing a doctor after losing your mother to cancer. I'm experiencing something similar myself right now. I really can't make myself go to a doctor. However, I also don't worry about my health problems at all.

You should probably see a doctor. The nosebleeds probably aren't anything really serious. But because you are so worried about them, you should see a doctor. It's either/or. Either see a doctor, or resolve to worry less.

And seeing a doctor would be a good idea, just to find out what is going on.

Hi, I know nosebleeds aren't anything for children or teenagers, but I am an adult. and I am 30-year-old, not 18 or 20. I've asked plenty of people around my age (and some are even older) about nosebleeds but none of them reported that they had had a nosebleed after their childhood. I don't know if adult nosebleeds are also as common as that of children. I don't know if internet searching for possibilities are really an unnecessarily endless scaring............

Super Moderator Top User
    Joe, we've really told you all we can. We're not doctors and we don't know what causes nosebleeds.

You are right. Searching on the internet will only give you the scariest possible answers.

We have given you as much help as we can. The rest now is up to you now. This forum is so we can give advice to people to see a doc if they are worried. We are primarily a site for the day to day support of cancer patients and carers by cancer patients and carers. Another general health concern forum would be a better fit for you. Of course, should you ever be diagnosed with a cancer we will be here for you.
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Joe

Well nosebleeds are not really a symptom of cancer. More like a vein in your nose that needs a bit of attention or possibly a polyp. You really need to see a doctor. You don't have to go to a hospital for a nosebleed.

Make an appointment and get it looked at. After that you can come back here and I strongly suspect you will be a happy man who knows he does not have cancer.

Good luck

PS your English is excellent !
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.