A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Mouth cancer

Newbie New User

Mouth cancer

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum. I'd like to share my experience with all of you. I discovered a lump on the lining of the mouth in May 2018. There was also some dental issues too and i assumed that the lump was because of that. But when it didn't go away after approx. 2 weeks, I went to my dentist. He referred me to an ENT clinic. I underwent various tests such as blood test, ultrasound, biopsy, CT scan, and so on. The doctors were adamant that the lump was harmless, however, they would have to remove the lump. Then i realize that it was the symptoms of mouth cancer. But I never lose my hope. I used to smoke too much since my teenage and it leads me to such a deadly disease. And I quit smoking now. I underwent several treatments and surgeries and now I'm feeling better. I need all your prayers and blessings.

I thought I would share my story in the hope that I can help someone else, or give other cancer patients hope.
    Last edited by lisa1962; 05-08-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: removed hidden link to dental group

Hello, Merina--I'm sorry for not replying sooner.

You say that the doctors removed this "lump" in your mouth...did a pathologist examine it, and did they diagnose it as cancer? What kind of treatments did you receive?

I'm glad you're feeling better. We would like to continue to support you however we can.
    Age 54 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED
    Spring 2019 - NED