A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Trouble walking

Newbie New User

Trouble walking

Hi. First time posting, hoping for some insight. My mom has stage 4 brain cancer. She was given a prognosis of 6 to 18 months to live last June. She is no longer receiving any treatment, but did receive full head radiation about a year ago. She has been doing fairly well in regard to symptoms, but has had a very difficult time walking as of late. She struggles, even with the use of a walker, has developed a shuffle with her feet turned inward, and has had several falls. We met with her oncologist today who said her latest scans show no significant change in her tumours. The doctor listened to us describe my mom's deterioration in her ability to walk and said she did not think it was related to her cancer. While it seems hard to believe my mom's problems walking is not cancer related, I assume the doctor is knowledgeable in this area. My mom has an appointment with her GP next week to rule out other causes. I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with this? I'm also wondering if physio or occupational therapy might offer her some help. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

Regular User
    Hi Soozin
    I'm very sorry to hear about your mom's cancer. My mom had lymohoma in her brain. She had surgery, chemotherapy and whole brain radiation therapy. She developed an unsteady gait after the surgery, and her neuropathy would get worse when she was taking higher doses of steroids, whether during the treatment or even during the brief period she was in remission. I know it's different from your mom's situation but my mom did receive some physiotherapy, I think you should definitely ask your mom's doctor about it coz it may be able to help her a little.
    As for the cause, could it be radiation necrosis? I know i struggled a lot with my mom's symptoms, not knowing whether they were side effects of treatment or being caused due to new growth and eventually learning that scans and doctors can be as confused as we are.
    I'm sorry i couldn't offer more help. Wishing the best for you and your mom.

Super Moderator Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by soozin View Post
    Hi. ...My mom has stage 4 brain cancer...did receive full head radiation about a year ago. She has been doing fairly well in regard to symptoms, but has had a very difficult time walking as of late. She struggles, even with the use of a walker, has developed a shuffle with her feet turned inward, and has had several falls. ....I'm also wondering if physio or occupational therapy might offer her some help.
    I would be surprised if the walking issues were not associated with her prior treatment, even if not associated with tumor growth.

I think physical therapy would help - but preferably from someone with neuro experience (cancer, stroke, ...)

I have left sided weakness and found PT made a big difference for the better. I don't think OT will help (that's mostly a hand / vision thing) from what I've observed.
    Nikos

Glioblastoma IV, frontal lobe - Dx March 2011. Treated with standard Stupp protocol
    Recurrence August 2016 (at 5 years PFS). Surgery August 2016, rechallenge with TMZ with immunotheraphy (nivolumab)