A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Cervical Cancer Symptoms

Newbie New User

Worried About Cervical Cancer

Good morning! I am brand new here and just looking for any advice. Over the summer, I began bleeding during sexual intercourse, and not just a little bit. It was almost like a second period and would last at least 24 hours. This has continued to happen. I went to my doctor shortly after it started and he said “rough sex”. It definitely wasn’t that and continued happening. A new doctor ran a ton of tests, and I do not have any STD’s and lubrication is not the problem. It seems we ruled out all of the minor things, and I’m concerned I have cervical cancer due to this symptom. I have also been extremely tired and I know especially during my period I have a terrible pain shoot down my leg from my back. Can anyone tell me what they think this is and if they had any other similar symptoms? I know my doctor will want to run more tests. I feel like I’m going crazy!!

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Sorry your fear has brought you here posting on a cancer forum. We are not doctors and will not guess as to the cause of your symptoms.

Continue working with your doctor, explain your concerns and if you feel your voice is not being heard, seek a new physician.

Newbie New User

Cervical Cancer Symptoms

I have a transvaginal ultrasound scheduled for next week, but here’s what’s been going on.

Last July, I began bleeding very heavily during and after intercourse. Periods were excruciating, and I began experiencing a pain shooting down my leg.

I went to the doctor in September and he dismissed the symptoms, claiming it may just have been “rough sexual intercourse”.

Bleeding continued, and I began going to my family doctor. She ran STD testing, and BV testing as well and everything came back negative. It’s still happening! I’m extremely concerned that something is really wrong. I’m just happy they are finally doing something about it. Anyone with a similar experience?

Regular User
    They are checking to rule out serious causes, including cancer, but that is very different from them thinking you have cancer. Other causes such as an ongoing infection are far more likely. Another possibility would be someting like endometriosis which can cause troublesome symptoms but is not life-threatening and is usually easier to treat than googling might syggest

The vast majority of people who have tests done for these symptoms have nothing serious wrong with them. It is good that you are being checked out, but try not to worry too much.

Hi there

I understand why you would have concerns but Lisa is right you need to stay the course and hard as it is wait for some test results.

When faced with the unknown we tend to go to worse case scenario. Still, while not being a dr I can tell you that there are other possible causes for your symptoms such as endometriosis, adenomyosis, fibroids, polyps, or cervical ectropion (also known as cervical erosion).

Please remember the only test that can confirm if cancer cells are present is a biopsy. An ultrasound cannot do this. So again stay the course, know that cancer is not the only possible cause.

May you get nothing but good news,

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!