A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Dad diagnosed with GBM in his brain

Newbie New User

Dad diagnosed with GBM in his brain

Hi all, I am new to this group so not sure if this subject has been discussed recently. My dad was diagnosed with a large GBM in his right frontal region of his brain about 2 weeks ago. He underwent surgery 6 days later to remove the tumor. The Dr told us it was starting to migrate into the back of his brain but he got as much as he could. In the last 2 weeks I am noticing my Dad is getting worse. I am not sure how much of this maybe could just be from the surgery. Anyway, my dad is refusing any further treatment. I am worried that he wonít live much longer if he refuses the chemo and radiation. I see online estimates of how much time one might have after this diagnoses. But most of the estimates are with full treatments. My dad is currently living with me since released from the hospital. But it has been very trying just with him only being here 1 week. He seems to focus on 3 things and talks over and over about them throughout the day. He makes up things in his head and then they become real in his mind. Like saying the Dr said he can drive in two weeks then is going to get his job back and continue working. He thinks he is fine and that he will outlive me. He also canít count money anymore. He canít sign his name legibly and canít remember how to get home or really how to get anywhere. I am not sure if I should just play along with him or keep trying to reason with him which seems impossible right now. Also wondering if anyone elseís family member has refused further treatment and what to expect in weeks and/or months to come. Also have you been able to keep family member in your home or admit to nursing home? And how long did they live after surgery?
    Lost and alone...

Newbie New User
    I am so sorry to hear of your situation. How heartbreaking. I wish I could offer some words of wisdom, but I just joined this group because my husband has brain cancer. This is all new to me too. I thought it would be more active and helpful here, but in light of the fact that no one has offered you anything in two days, I recommend finding a different forum. I would also contact your local hospital and appeal to them for helpful information. Praying for you.

Does his Doctor know about all that?? Could be swelling in the Brain? Is he on Steroids?
    Oct 15 diagnosed NSCLC stage IV , Mets in lymph nodes,
    Chemo 6 months, Tumour didn't grow but lymph nodes
    New Chemo 4 months, not working, new spot 4mm in Liver
    Aug 16, start Opdivo ,immune therapy
    CT Nov 16 , Tumor shrank, Lymph nodes shrank
    CT Jan 17, Tumor all the same, Lymph nodes on Neck and under arm back to normal, in Lung and Chest a bit smaller
    July 17, 2x3 cm Brain Tumor found, removed in Surgery, now radiation on spot,still on Nivu
    August 18, all still same, living life every day
    January 2019 < CT said NED!!!!
    Fingers crossed

Newbie New User
    Hello sorry to hear about dad ad his diagnosis. My younger sister age 60 was diagnosed in March with a Grade 4 GBM, inoperable. Has had 30 sessions radiotherapy and 42 days Chemo Stupp Protocol. Is now dyslexic, lost use of left arm very tired and on 2mg Dex daily, what happened next? She is coping very well although confused and cannot stop talking which is unlike her normally. Prognosis not good just extending her lifespan I believe.

Newbie New User
    Hello Elise Sorry to hear of your husband's illness. We are trying to cope with my sister's recent diagnosis so great to know we can talk to others in the same situation. How old is your husband, what treatment is he offered?

Experienced User
    Play along, he will be much more cooperative if he feels you are being nice