A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Tattoos/Piercings?

Tattoos/Piercings?

When did you get the "okay" to get tattoos and/or piercings again post chemo and radiation treatment?
    Lymphoma fighter, 25, ISTJ, LGBTQIA, Pagan
    My journey so far:
    September 2018 - dx with lymphoma
    October 2018 - 2 lung biopsies, pending information in regards to lymphoma stage, lymphoma type and treatment plan
    Halloween/Nov 1 2018 - dx with stage 2 lymphoma unfavorable, got 1st round of chemo on Nov 1, feeling nauseaous and tired but overall ok, taking supplements to reduce risk of losing hair
    April 4 2019 - Final Chemo!
    May 20 2019 - first radiation treatment!
    June 3 2019 - final radiation treatment!

That is a question best answered by your oncologist. I would assume, in my opinion, they would be very cautious here. Tattoos and piercings, even watched/religiously cleaned and maintained can get infected and if you have a depleted immune system already, you would be at a much higher risk. Remember even after your radiation is done, you still "cook" for a few weeks (varies depending on dose and how long our treatment was) afterwards too.

Are you thinking of getting a tat to symbolize your fight against cancer? What kind of design, if you don't mind me asking? I have 3, LOL small ones as I am older and chicken but I am designed in larger one for my left foot going up around my leg a bit. I am worried about how it is going to hurt.

Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    June 24 - tumor 1/3 the original size
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED

I was going to do a steampunk inspired clock with the colors lime green and purple since purple is the color for Hodgkin's lymphoma and green is the color of lymphoma. The clock hands would be "10:10" because I was diagnosed officially on that date (if I remember right, I'll have to check the records exactly)
    Lymphoma fighter, 25, ISTJ, LGBTQIA, Pagan
    My journey so far:
    September 2018 - dx with lymphoma
    October 2018 - 2 lung biopsies, pending information in regards to lymphoma stage, lymphoma type and treatment plan
    Halloween/Nov 1 2018 - dx with stage 2 lymphoma unfavorable, got 1st round of chemo on Nov 1, feeling nauseaous and tired but overall ok, taking supplements to reduce risk of losing hair
    April 4 2019 - Final Chemo!
    May 20 2019 - first radiation treatment!
    June 3 2019 - final radiation treatment!

Regular User
    Check with your oncologist. Tattoos can be a problem if you are going to have further PET scans as they can cause false positives.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Indeed, tattoo ink tends to show up in lymph nodes.